The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Whistle

A couple of things to note for me are I have gone away from any standard whistle (just the whistle) especially the Fox 40 and I have even put my mega in the drawer because of the sound pounding I get when I blow a whistle. Talk to several trainers who have been around a while and they will tell you blowing the whistle damages your ears. A lot of folks are wearing protection at the line now.

I have both the Blue Dallesasse and the Green Monster and they both use the same whistle (Acme Thunder). I have used the GM mostly because for some reason my dog responds to it better. It is a little heavier than the BD. Get both at least and work with the dog to see which works best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    I second this. I have always used "The Answer" which is the pealess orange mega whistle. It is very loud and I would have argued the loudest, but, your post prompted me to buy a new whistle and I gotta say, the D is louder.
    Personally, I think The Answer whistle is pretty weak. I've trained with folks who use them and been at gun stations at field trials when handlers have used them. To my ears, even the standard Mega is considerably louder. The Answer is higher pitched than the other whistles which may make it seem louder (possibly) but the volume wasn't in the same league as the Dalesasse. At the last couple of field trials I've been to, I only recall seeing one handler using one of The Answer whistles which seems to me to be a pretty good indicator.
    Last edited by J. Walker; 08-02-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Wow only 1 Answer whistle! I was at a trial this weekend and I saw probably better than 50% of people blowing it, including the pro's, after that the most popular was probably the regular mega whistle, a few dallesasse's and only a couple Green monsters.
    Daren Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    Wow only 1 Answer whistle! I was at a trial this weekend and I saw probably better than 50% of people blowing it, including the pro's, after that the most popular was probably the regular mega whistle, a few dallesasse's and only a couple Green monsters.
    Were you at a field trial or a hunting test? I've seen lots of the Answer whistles at hunting tests with the distances of only about 100 yards but they're rarer than hen's teeth at the field trials anywhere I've been. At the last field trial I worked at and ran in, I didn't see one in the Open (and I saw every dog run), I saw one in the Am, and none in the Q. I didn't see any of the Derby so I don't know about that stake. I can only think of one pro who runs at the trials I attend who uses it. Even then, for longer blinds, he's rigged up a megaphone extension made from a funnel.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

This was a FT, I was running the derby, watched most of the 4th series of the open and part of the first series of the Am. Didn't take notice of what the Am handlers where using, the ones that I know where using the Answer, but out of the 6 pro's I saw run the Open and derby and the pro I train with who was not at this trial, 6 were using the Answer and 2 where using the pea mega. One of them used the Answer with a dallesasse on his lanyard and one am did the same. In training last night I saw my buddies dog stop, he was using the Answer, at at least 500 yards if not 600, the mark was almost 300 and she got out of sight and when we saw her again we could barely see her, the wind was helping him as she was down wind but I was impressed. I think I'll stick with the dallesasse though.
    Daren Galloway

I have been using the new Dallesasse in the field for the last few weeks since I got it and here are my observations. First, the dogs do not seem to be responding near as well as they did to the answer. I thought that it may just be a learning curve but have given it a few weeks. Yesterday I went back to the answer cold turkey and got a much better result out of the dogs. I also don't like the fact that it takes twice as much air to blow the thing. After running 4-5 dogs I need oxygen and an AED. On the plus side I have noticed that in high wind on the water they can hear it better. My opinion, I will keep both on the lanyard and will only use the D in extreme conditions when absolutely necessary.

Repeated pattern blind last night, stopped him at 300 or so, I was running out of real estate, he responded nicely, I'll stick with the Dallesasse. Need another one for backup now. New question anyone used the plain acme whistle with no megaphone on it for say hunting? I don't really want the dallesasse or such on my lanyard with all my calls etc, too much crap on there already. Only concern is as loud as the dallesasse is will the plain acme be too hard on a guys ears?
    Daren Galloway

Daren ,I cut my Dallesasse (sp) down for hunting (like you its to big to be on a duck call lanyard). Its about 1 1/2 inches total in length now and bought a new one for training. I cup my hands over the end of it if when I need a big whistle to help with the sound on fellow hunters.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Thanks Shawn, I was thinking about that. I guess I could just keep the whistle in the blind bag and pull it out when needed, that may be simplest.
    Daren Galloway

I keep it on my lanyard and it isnt any more of a pain then a duck call IMO.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "