RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Which Whistle

10K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  J. Walker 
#1 · (Edited)
Is the loudest? I have a Dallesasse Field Trialer and ran some long blinds today, 300-400 yards with a under 10mph wind and the dog had difficulty hearing the whistle. Is the Green Monster or the Orange mega whistle any louder at those distances? Has anyone actually tested this not just personal preferences?

#4 ·
You'll piss people off, but get a Fox 40, loudest by far I have ever heard!!

#5 ·
Is the loudest? I have a Dallahasse Field Trialer and ran some long blinds today, 300-400 yards with a under 10mph wind and the dog had difficulty hearing the whistle. Is the Green Monster or the Orange mega whistle any louder at those distances? Has anyone actually tested this not just personal preferences?
If you blew the blue whistle, your dog heard it. Trust me. Whether he decided to stop or not is a different matter. I tested my old mega whistle and my Dalesasse at about 350 yards. Long story short is that with my wife in the field, she said she heard the Acme Tornado (Dalesasse) very clearly with a crosswind, considerably better than the Mega. That said, my dog still responds better to the Mega, even at 300 yards but he's still getting used to the Dalesasse.

#8 ·
Honestly though, if my old Mega were louder, I'd have stuck with it as I still FAR prefer how I can more easily adjust the volume and duration to better communicate with my dog. The Dalesasse doesn't have a crisp tone and just kind of lays there when you need a softer tone if the dog is only 30 yards away such as if he took a poor initial line. Like my dog, I'm still getting used to it. I wouldn't have even considered it but I noticed that about 325 yards or so was the limit for my Mega with any kind of breeze or cover.

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies greatly appreciated. I've never blown the orange mega but I know standing behind the line of people that do kills my ears so there has to be more sound lost to the side and behind than the Dallesasse. Has anyone compared the Green Monster to the FT Dallesasse?

#11 ·
A couple of things to note for me are I have gone away from any standard whistle (just the whistle) especially the Fox 40 and I have even put my mega in the drawer because of the sound pounding I get when I blow a whistle. Talk to several trainers who have been around a while and they will tell you blowing the whistle damages your ears. A lot of folks are wearing protection at the line now.

I have both the Blue Dallesasse and the Green Monster and they both use the same whistle (Acme Thunder). I have used the GM mostly because for some reason my dog responds to it better. It is a little heavier than the BD. Get both at least and work with the dog to see which works best.

#13 ·
Wow only 1 Answer whistle! I was at a trial this weekend and I saw probably better than 50% of people blowing it, including the pro's, after that the most popular was probably the regular mega whistle, a few dallesasse's and only a couple Green monsters.

#14 ·
Were you at a field trial or a hunting test? I've seen lots of the Answer whistles at hunting tests with the distances of only about 100 yards but they're rarer than hen's teeth at the field trials anywhere I've been. At the last field trial I worked at and ran in, I didn't see one in the Open (and I saw every dog run), I saw one in the Am, and none in the Q. I didn't see any of the Derby so I don't know about that stake. I can only think of one pro who runs at the trials I attend who uses it. Even then, for longer blinds, he's rigged up a megaphone extension made from a funnel.

#15 ·
This was a FT, I was running the derby, watched most of the 4th series of the open and part of the first series of the Am. Didn't take notice of what the Am handlers where using, the ones that I know where using the Answer, but out of the 6 pro's I saw run the Open and derby and the pro I train with who was not at this trial, 6 were using the Answer and 2 where using the pea mega. One of them used the Answer with a dallesasse on his lanyard and one am did the same. In training last night I saw my buddies dog stop, he was using the Answer, at at least 500 yards if not 600, the mark was almost 300 and she got out of sight and when we saw her again we could barely see her, the wind was helping him as she was down wind but I was impressed. I think I'll stick with the dallesasse though.

#16 ·
I have been using the new Dallesasse in the field for the last few weeks since I got it and here are my observations. First, the dogs do not seem to be responding near as well as they did to the answer. I thought that it may just be a learning curve but have given it a few weeks. Yesterday I went back to the answer cold turkey and got a much better result out of the dogs. I also don't like the fact that it takes twice as much air to blow the thing. After running 4-5 dogs I need oxygen and an AED. On the plus side I have noticed that in high wind on the water they can hear it better. My opinion, I will keep both on the lanyard and will only use the D in extreme conditions when absolutely necessary.

#17 ·
Repeated pattern blind last night, stopped him at 300 or so, I was running out of real estate, he responded nicely, I'll stick with the Dallesasse. Need another one for backup now. New question anyone used the plain acme whistle with no megaphone on it for say hunting? I don't really want the dallesasse or such on my lanyard with all my calls etc, too much crap on there already. Only concern is as loud as the dallesasse is will the plain acme be too hard on a guys ears?

#24 ·
#21 ·
You might want to try Fox's Sonic Blast, very compact and loud downrange when you lean on it. Sound is baffled away from you some, rather than directed to your ears like the Fox 40, but you'll still want to cup it with your hands when you really let it rip. Will also work quietly and with inflection for directing closer retrieves.

#25 ·
I think I'm going to go back to the Mega and just take my chances. I've grown to really dislike the Dallesasse whistle. Though louder, my dog responds poorly to it at a distance for whatever reason. The whistle is designed to be blown full blast all the time which makes getting consistent tone at shorter distances difficult. It's also an awkward, cumbersome design with the length and weight.

#26 ·
I'm gonna stick with the Dallesasse, my dog is responding to it well and the other day I was throwing birds and I could hear the Dallesasse a lot better than the Answer, 10mph cross wind. I don't have a problem with a quick quieter toot at close distance so I'm stickin with it.

#27 · (Edited)
I went back to the Mega and haven't looked back. My dog simply responds better to the crisper tone of the Mega. The difference in response is really apparent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.