The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yellow labs nose color

Default yellow labs nose color

When my yellow lab was a pup her nose was black, as she grew older it turned pink. I was always going to ask the vet about it but always forgot during her appointments. It was no big deal as she is very healthy. She is 4 years old now and it looks darker to me now, it looks like it is turning back to black. lol Is this normal, what causes it. Once again she is very healthy.

I looked that up a while back because my dog has gone through the same initial color change and I think that they called it "snow nose" or something and it also seems to me that it is partially due to the effect of temperature on some of the pigment cells in the nose. If I had the scratch, I'd be considering having my guy's nose tattooed black as I prefer that look myself
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Mine gets darker and lighter depending on time of year winter summer it changes.

Makes sense it has been a hot summer here in Montana. Thanks

Black dog's nose stay black. Hair turn gray though..........

I think the color change is due to daylength. My standard poodle has a snow nose. It gradually darkens from the winter solstice to the summer solstice. After the summer solstice, it starts fading again. Each year, it is less dark, which is also typical. No big deal, unless you're really concerned with having a black nose. Some of the show breeders use various means to darken noses for the conformation ring. Or so I've heard.
    Last edited by PalouseDogs; 07-23-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Pigmentation is in the individual dog's genetics, and it's a critical part of the breed standard. Yellows should have black or nearly black noses and "eyeliner", and their eye color should be dark brown - same as the eye color for a black. Chocolates noses any eyeliner should be the same color as the coat, and the eyes should be hazel. It is true that in yellows and chocolates (to a lesser degree), the coloring will change seasonally, but that is usually due to the dog having weak pigmentation. A yellow or chocolate with good pigmentation will show very little or no seasonal color change. You'll find that yellows that carry the chocolate gene generally have weaker pigmentation than yellows that don't carry the chocolate gene. That's why most breeders who are critical about conformation are careful not to breed yellows that carry chocolate. Attachment 14304 This photo was taken in February. Her nose is completely black in the summer months.
    Jeff Jennings
    Whispering Hills Kennels
    Silverton, Oregon

The nose will turn black with sunlight. Sun tans the nose.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by WhisperingHills View Post
    Pigmentation is in the individual dog's genetics, and it's a critical part of the breed standard. Yellows should have black or nearly black noses and "eyeliner", and their eye color should be dark brown - same as the eye color for a black. Chocolates noses any eyeliner should be the same color as the coat, and the eyes should be hazel. It is true that in yellows and chocolates (to a lesser degree), the coloring will change seasonally, but that is usually due to the dog having weak pigmentation. A yellow or chocolate with good pigmentation will show very little or no seasonal color change. You'll find that yellows that carry the chocolate gene generally have weaker pigmentation than yellows that don't carry the chocolate gene. That's why most breeders who are critical about conformation are careful not to breed yellows that carry chocolate. Attachment 14304 This photo was taken in February. Her nose is completely black in the summer months.
    This wee yellow dog carries no chocolate! and at 8 weeks old has a black nose and eyeliner.

Here he is at 12 months old ,with a pink nose and it has 'light eyes'?

His coat also got darker (more red) as he got older - 18 months!?....I don't have that image,because he turned out to be the dumbest dog of the whole litter that I kept!
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

No real explanation of snow nose here, yet.
    It does happen to my yellows, usually around this time of year... And they certainly have no chocolate!
    -Barton Ramsey