The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blind Retrieve No Go Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    Ok I'll bite. WTH are you talking about???
    You ever snub a dog up when you send for the pile ? Snub means to stop the dog with a rope so it can't leave your side thus creating a no go ...How do you correct for a no-go..? Back burn back or heel stimulate heel ,then sit and resend ...back ..? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    You ever snub a dog up when you send for the pile ? Snub means to stop the dog with a rope so it can't leave your side thus creating a no go ...How do you correct for a no-go..? Back burn back or heel stimulate heel ,then sit and resend ...back ..? Steve S
    Never heard of it. Thats why I'm on here though. You learn something new every day.

Thanks for the suggestions. She has recently run two double header hunt tests which were separated by about 4 weeks. I also thought about her going into heat but checked both times and that wasn't the case. Also, I don't have a problem with handling, just getting her off the line and ONLY in the last 4 hunt tests or one field trial. Except for these recent problems, she has never had a confidence problem on cold blinds or memory blinds during training or in an event. It's almost like she is now intimidated at an organized event _ but only on blinds. In many cases she has been the best or one of the best on marks. I have even tried walking her to the line and sending her without trying to set up for a good line. That worked once.

As for more training, I have run many blinds of all types and difficulty and do not have a problem in training. I have even tried to wear her down first but still she always goes in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    Never heard of it.
    Me neither, seems pretty unfair to the dog to me.

I would not advocate doing this to a young dog especially if you are a new handler? JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Me neither, seems pretty unfair to the dog to me.
    Not if done correctly......but ...all things can be unfair or abusive if done incorrectly....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I would not advocate doing this to a young dog especially if you are a new handler? JMO
    It is done when the dog is going through force to a pile...At what ever that age may be...Steve S PS: I see horror pictures in every ones minds when trying to think how it is done and the amount of pressure use....

An additional thought came when looking over some other threads....When we don't know the drill or the actions that make up the drill we usually have some ideas in our minds based on previous material we read and or used ...Like the Hillman info on puppy collar stimulation , Evans idea of using the collar to in force (here) come in a very young dog....It seems most of the time we jump to conclusions that have no relevance to the actual drill...This is why it is best to have a mentor to train with and some one that has been down that road to show and explain the exact events .... Also I never got an answer to my question about addressing no-gos with back burn back or heel stimulation heel,sit and resend with back ... Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 07-27-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Not if done correctly......but ...all things can be unfair or abusive if done incorrectly....Steve S
    I guess we don't all train the same way

The OP stated "I do notice she may appear to be confused on the above no gos but can not understand why . . ."
    You know the dog better than any of us armchair trainers so you're the only one who can figure out why she is confused or uncertain. My kid went through a period of no-gos (though only once in a trial) and I tried all the "fixes." Finally just stepped back a few weeks and only did marks with guaranteed success, with a few wagon-wheel and dbl T drills. Finally back to cold blinds and after that re-enforced with some low-pressure FTPs. In my case I think the boy just went through a period where he was afraid of making a mistake. So he locked up. Just had to unlock him.
    Good luck. Let us know how she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    The OP stated "I do notice she may appear to be confused on the above no gos but can not understand why . . ."
    You know the dog better than any of us armchair trainers so you're the only one who can figure out why she is confused or uncertain. My kid went through a period of no-gos (though only once in a trial) and I tried all the "fixes." Finally just stepped back a few weeks and only did marks with guaranteed success, with a few wagon-wheel and dbl T drills. Finally back to cold blinds and after that re-enforced with some low-pressure FTPs. In my case I think the boy just went through a period where he was afraid of making a mistake. So he locked up. Just had to unlock him.
    Good luck. Let us know how she does.
    For what it's worth,and I've had a couple in for training (and we don't use collar) or any FF or FTP ,but done much as Good Dogs has said and they all come good!
    Only had one that was a 'true no-go' on blinds and quite recently ,where I actually asked advice for some nice guy's your side of the pond and they helped me tremendously.
    Good Dog mentions ''Unlock him'' , and that's what we had to do with much consultation on a personal level rather than open forum,which can/could get mixed up.
    Final 'Unlock' for this guy was having the bird boy throw a bird then I would put the dog in the truck! and drive off.........?...hope you get yours sorted.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever