The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: Scatter Creek

  1. #11
    Senior Member jgrammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    eastern Washington
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Call backs to the Qual 4th: 1. 2, 5-8, 10, 15-19
    Jean

    MHR Firemark Serendipity ***, MH, CDX, NA, NAJ, NF "Seren"
    WR Firemark Little Hot Tee***, "Tee"
    FC AFC Wigeons Carbon Chip, "Chip"
    AFC Patton's Moby Nick, "Nick"
    Silvertip's Secret Weapon, "Lazer"
    Firemark Enjoy the Ryde, "Ryder"
    Robber's Duck and Run, "Quick" forever in our hearts

  2. #12
    Senior Member helencalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    in the mountains at Lake Almanor, CA
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Helen I am so sorry to hear that Ruby is injured. Hopefully they were able to stitch up her tongue and it will heal quickly.
    So if I am reading this correctly is this the second scrap?
    It could be the second scrap. I am not sure. The Open called me at 1:15 trying to find Don to tell him the Open had just been scrapped and to bring back Ruby to run again. They said she would probably run very late today. They did not realize that they had called the house and not his cell phone. Don was over at the Qualifying. I could not reach him on his cell phone to tell him so I called several other people who I knew were entered in the Qual. Don went to the truck and found my message about the Open on his cell phone. He was about to leave with Ruby for the vet. He had gone to the Qual to get one of our friends to hold her down so he could stop the blood and see how bad her tongue was. He decided he had better get her to the vet. Sally is in the Open, too. But they had not gotten to her yet. He called the Open and said he could not be there to run Sally as Ruby was cut and he was taking her to the vet right at that time and off he went. By that time he had heard that 4 dogs had been hurt so I am not sure if Ruby was dog #4 or dog #5.

    I can imagine what a mess this is for the Open. A lot of time lost. I am guessing that if they had just scrubbed a second test around 1:00, they would have to find another location for it and walk those grounds (I am sure they would have to check them out after so many injuries on hidden barb wire). They probably didn't get the 3rd try at the Open going until 2:00 p.m. or later. They will probably be running dogs until dark thirty tonight trying to make up for this.

    Now folks can see why it is so important for clubs to list the closest veterinarian. I am just glad that this happened on a Friday and not on a Sunday.

    Helen

  3. #13
    Senior Member Troopers Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    It could be the second scrap. I am not sure. The Open called me at 1:15 trying to find Don to tell him the Open had just been scrapped and to bring back Ruby to run again. They said she would probably run very late today. They did not realize that they had called the house and not his cell phone. Don was over at the Qualifying. I could not reach him on his cell phone to tell him so I called several other people who I knew were entered in the Qual. Don went to the truck and found my message about the Open on his cell phone. He was about to leave with Ruby for the vet. He had gone to the Qual to get one of our friends to hold her down so he could stop the blood and see how bad her tongue was. He decided he had better get her to the vet. Sally is in the Open, too. But they had not gotten to her yet. He called the Open and said he could not be there to run Sally as Ruby was cut and he was taking her to the vet right at that time and off he went. By that time he had heard that 4 dogs had been hurt so I am not sure if Ruby was dog #4 or dog #5.

    I can imagine what a mess this is for the Open. A lot of time lost. I am guessing that if they had just scrubbed a second test around 1:00, they would have to find another location for it and walk those grounds (I am sure they would have to check them out after so many injuries on hidden barb wire). They probably didn't get the 3rd try at the Open going until 2:00 p.m. or later. They will probably be running dogs until dark thirty tonight trying to make up for this.

    Now folks can see why it is so important for clubs to list the closest veterinarian. I am just glad that this happened on a Friday and not on a Sunday.

    Helen
    Helen, I'm so sorry to hear about Ruby and the rest of the dogs hurt. It took 4 hurt dogs to check the grounds? This is appalling.

    Arleen

  4. #14
    Senior Member helencalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    in the mountains at Lake Almanor, CA
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troopers Mom View Post
    Helen, I'm so sorry to hear about Ruby and the rest of the dogs hurt. It took 4 hurt dogs to check the grounds? This is appalling. Arleen
    I am not there so I don't know the situation. I don't know if Marion's dog with the cut leg was the first dog or the 3rd or 4th dog. I don't know what the other injuries were. Don saw Marion's dog and he heard there were at least 4 dogs hurt. Did not know if Ruby was in that hurt count or not. He did not think the Open knew about Ruby's injury. She came back with a duck and her mouth was bleeding. He went to our truck with her thinking a duck bone had pierce her tongue or tore her mouth. By that time there was so much blood, he could not tell where it was coming from which is why he needed help to stop the blood. That's when he saw the cut on her tongue.

    I just finished reading on line comments from a veterinarian about hunting dogs getting cut tongues. He said photos were taken of dogs running while hunting. Their mouths are open and their tongues are fully extended. I can understand now how Ruby could get a badly cut tongue on barb wire that apparently was hidden in brush or high grass she was running through.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Judy Myers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    RV the West
    Posts
    717

    Default

    I'm at the test. I am not aware of four dogs being injured. That's not to say they weren't but obviously at least two were - Marion's Kate and Don's Ruby. The test was only really scrapped once. They did do an adjustment after the first dog ran and could not see the long bird and ended up hunting deep in the wrong area and came up with a bumper. They moved the long gun in much shorter, gave the dog that never picked up any of the marks but came back with a bumper a rerun, and proceeded with the test. After Marion reported the injury to her dog to the Committee, they immediately checked the field and scrapped the test. I don't know if they were aware of Ruby's injury at that time. They had run about 13 dogs on the scrapped test. They stopped that test after dog #24, having started with #11 which was the one that picked up the bumper. The new test is in a different area - a double and a blind. The marks are thrown - one very long thrown left to right in an open field and one very short thrown right to left to a wide spit in a pond. Pull the dog off the marks and run the blind under the arc of the short bird with multiple water entries enroute and then way out into the field. Then pick up the marks by invitation. The marks can be almost an over and under depending on the length of the short throw. Among the first six or seven dogs, there have been at least three handles on the marks and a pickup on the blind.
    Last edited by Judy Myers; 07-26-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Judy

    CFC-CAFC Heads Up Tracks in the Taiga MH, WC ***, Can. WCI, JFTR, QFTR - U.S. all-breed Amateur placements/JAMS, Am-Can Qual Wins (Trek) 1/31/07

    Heads Up Dash to the Taiga WC **(Dart) 10/29/12

    Can. GMH Coppertop Wind in the Taiga MH, WCX **, Can. CD, WCX, QFTR *** (Breeze) 9/5/00 - 9/30/10

    Photo of one-year-old Trek by Greg Gersbach

  6. #16
    Senior Member Annette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Scottdale ,AZ
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Thanks so much for the report Judy. It is great you are there to get the facts straight for us. I hope it went well for you.
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

  7. #17
    Senior Member helencalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    in the mountains at Lake Almanor, CA
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Don just called me from the vet's office. Ruby's cut is at least 1" deep in her tongue. She had to be put under for stitches. Don said that Ruby was the 3rd dog to be brought into the vet's clinic for barb wire cuts today.

    1- Marion Carey's dog Kate. Might not have been a leg. Don thought the blood was coming from a leg. Might have been from her side and a nipple.
    2 - a dog Brooke Vandebrake ran. Don does not know how bad that injury was, he didn't see it. The dog had been treated by the same vet before Don brought in Ruby
    3- Ruby.

    He had heard there were 4 dogs, but the vet could tell him only about 3 he had treated so maybe the 4th dog did not need stitches.

    Don can't leave the vet's office until they are done stitching and Ruby comes out from being under. The Open knows that and they said they would wait for him to get back there with Sally. It might be dark when that happens. Don is a wreck.

    Don thought that Marion's dog might have been the first dog hurt so that when she told them about it is when they realized something was out there and so they scrapped the test. Don thinks maybe they did not know about Brooke's dog or Ruby. When Ruby came back with a duck and blood dripping out of her mouth, he grabbed her and took her to our truck to check her out. The judges did not know about it I don't think. Don didn't know how serious it was until he could get her held down and the blood stopped so he could see what was bleeding.

    Barb wire can easily be hidden in brush or tall grass. Hard to find it when walking the grounds. I don't blame the judges or the F.T. Committee for not seeing it. I applaud them for changing the test as soon as they learned about Marion's dog.

    Helen

  8. #18
    Senior Member Judy Myers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    RV the West
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Brooke has been at the Open all day so I'm not sure when he could have gone to the vet. He ran the first dog (the one who found the bumper) and was in the holding blind with his second dog when they scrapped the test. Don ran Ruby right in front of Marion's Kate. I'm not aware that anyone knew that Ruby had been injured. Marion advised the Committee and the Committee took prompt action. I guess the moral of the story is if your dog is injured while running a test, be sure that the Committee is informed. If the Committee is notified promptly, they can take action to save other dogs from being injured. The field trial programs now include a section on Event Committees and their responsibilities for safety. That section says that the Committee should be notified immediately of a serious injury to a dog whether while running a test or on the grounds. A serious injury is defined as requiring a trip to a vet. The Committee can then investigate and take appropriate action and report to the AKC. As handlers, we should all be aware of these guidelines and make sure that we report any serious injuries to our dogs so that action can be taken.
    Judy

    CFC-CAFC Heads Up Tracks in the Taiga MH, WC ***, Can. WCI, JFTR, QFTR - U.S. all-breed Amateur placements/JAMS, Am-Can Qual Wins (Trek) 1/31/07

    Heads Up Dash to the Taiga WC **(Dart) 10/29/12

    Can. GMH Coppertop Wind in the Taiga MH, WCX **, Can. CD, WCX, QFTR *** (Breeze) 9/5/00 - 9/30/10

    Photo of one-year-old Trek by Greg Gersbach

  9. #19
    Senior Member Annette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Scottdale ,AZ
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Sorry dogs got hurt. Thanks Helen for the update on those injured and Judy for your report. Hopefully that is the end of injuries.
    I also feel for the judges.
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

  10. #20
    Senior Member Northern Skies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Oh Helen - I'm so sorry to hear this about Ruby. I hope she recovers quickly. It saddens me to hear news of any injury during the trials but take solace the judges took swift action.
    Lorraine Maroney

    Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Don just called me from the vet's office. Ruby's cut is at least 1" deep in her tongue. She had to be put under for stitches. Don said that Ruby was the 3rd dog to be brought into the vet's clinic for barb wire cuts today.

    1- Marion Carey's dog Kate. Might not have been a leg. Don thought the blood was coming from a leg. Might have been from her side and a nipple.
    2 - a dog Brooke Vandebrake ran. Don does not know how bad that injury was, he didn't see it. The dog had been treated by the same vet before Don brought in Ruby
    3- Ruby.

    He had heard there were 4 dogs, but the vet could tell him only about 3 he had treated so maybe the 4th dog did not need stitches.

    Don can't leave the vet's office until they are done stitching and Ruby comes out from being under. The Open knows that and they said they would wait for him to get back there with Sally. It might be dark when that happens. Don is a wreck.

    Don thought that Marion's dog might have been the first dog hurt so that when she told them about it is when they realized something was out there and so they scrapped the test. Don thinks maybe they did not know about Brooke's dog or Ruby. When Ruby came back with a duck and blood dripping out of her mouth, he grabbed her and took her to our truck to check her out. The judges did not know about it I don't think. Don didn't know how serious it was until he could get her held down and the blood stopped so he could see what was bleeding.

    Barb wire can easily be hidden in brush or tall grass. Hard to find it when walking the grounds. I don't blame the judges or the F.T. Committee for not seeing it. I applaud them for changing the test as soon as they learned about Marion's dog.

    Helen
    Home of Rosemont's Amazing Grace *** Gracie (FC-AFC Wood River's Franchise x Buckshot's Pure Pleasure MH)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •