The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retriever club favoritism

To the point of 'favoritism':

I recall a test whereby one judge in our stake had traveled by van, with dog. In that transitional travel found their bitch was in heat.

Van was parked directly next to the 3rd holding blind back, back open - windows down.

I would doubt there was a bitch check. Didn't need to be. Males are fairly obvious in answering the question for us. Stuff happens, I overlooked it as by holding blind #1 all focus was back. Had the judge then later tried to tie the dog with another on grounds...I'd have a different opinion.

To the point above on common sense, as it applies to rules, like life, things are rarely black and white.

And besides...who wants to slow down a 59 dog senior??
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Try that the next time you are on a committee asked to conduct such a meeting.

As I said, show me where "He said, She said", circumstantial evidence, and conjecture about what the breeder felt, are written anywhere in ANY AKC bylaw, rule, regulation or policy governing the sport of purebred dogs that would govern here.

john
    John - show me a rule or law written anywhere, for anything, that clearly accounts for all circumstance. Yet we practice these things daily.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    John - show me a rule or law written anywhere, for anything, that clearly accounts for all circumstance. Yet we practice these things daily.

AH, but there IS place in the current HT rules that addresses bitches in season, it is Chapter 1 Section 5. which refers to a vet check to establish that a bitch is in season or not. If there were a reason to establish this fact, such as we have here, the prudent committee member or accuser should have called for one.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Try that the next time you are on a committee asked to conduct such a meeting.

As I said, show me where "He said, She said", circumstantial evidence, and conjecture about what the breeder felt, are written anywhere in ANY AKC bylaw, rule, regulation or policy governing the sport of purebred dogs that would govern here.

john
    There was a picture of the dogs tying...what more evidence needs to be provided? You know damn well a bitch in season has no business being on the grounds....by the way, any person with a white paper towel can establish if the bitch was in season...they don't need a vet on the grounds to establish this....

Don't have books now but can't this be covered by noncompeting dog on grounds or whatever?
    PS
    More than once I've seen vans parked at event chasing the stud du jour traveling the circuit. Probably chose where to run based on greatest # of bitches ready to nail that weekend, who knows but the girls were standing by.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

AH, but there IS place in the current HT rules that addresses bitches in season, it is Chapter 1 Section 5. which refers to a vet check to establish that a bitch is in season or not. If there were a reason to establish this fact, such as we have here, the prudent committee member or accuser should have called for one.

john
    This is what I have from Chapter 1, Section 5:

Section 5. Bitches In Season. Bitches in season shall not be eligible for entry in any Hunting Test and shall not be allowed on the grounds. Entry fees paid for a bitch withdrawn because of coming in season or for a dog withdrawn because of an injury or illness, or for a dog that dies, shall be refunded in full by the test-giving club. Prior to paying such refund, the club may require an appropriate veterinary certificate. In the event a dog is withdrawn for other reasons, the test-giving club is free to formulate its own policy with reference to refunds provided that said policy shall be fixed in advance of the mailing of the premium list for any particular Test.

This is as it relates to two things:
    1. No dog on grounds that is in heat. (The Breeder stating that it was - according to the post)
    2. The Vet check requirement for refund on premium.

No where do I see the statement or assumption that a Vet check is required unless otherwise for the refund of a premium. Nor does it state that a Vet check must be completed as a requirement to confirm an admitted state by the owner.

A suspected dog may be tested but when an owner confirms that state - there would be no reason for a Vet check. The dogs state has been established.
    Last edited by HNTFSH; 07-27-2013 at 10:06 AM.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Send complete information in as a complaint to AKC Performance and let them investigate.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Send complete information in as a complaint to AKC Performance and let them investigate.
    X2 Don't forget the pictures.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

AH, but there IS place in the current HT rules that addresses bitches in season, it is Chapter 1 Section 5. which refers to a vet check to establish that a bitch is in season or not.
    The vet check has nothing to do with a bitch in season being on the grounds. The vet check in the paragraph you cite refers only to the issue of supporting a refund request for a bitch that is in season. It has nothing to do with whether she can be permitted on the grounds. Simply put, she's not allowed on the grounds ion season.

The bitch should not have been on the grounds if the owner/handler was local. I can see an exception for a person who is on the road and days from home. Under my "exception", no one would know she was there. For example, boarding the dog locally. If that's not feasible, the person ought to be very, very circumspect and not let their dog interfere with the activities of others in any fashion. To do so disrespects the very nature of the games that we play from the standpoint of "sportsmanship". Shame on the participant.

The committee ought to be taken to task over their inaction. They accepted the responsibility to act in such cases on behalf of AKC when they agreed to serve. Shame on the committee.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    This is what I have from Chapter 1, Section 5:

Section 5. Bitches In Season. Bitches in season shall not be eligible for entry in any Hunting Test and shall not be allowed on the grounds. Entry fees paid for a bitch withdrawn because of coming in season or for a dog withdrawn because of an injury or illness, or for a dog that dies, shall be refunded in full by the test-giving club. Prior to paying such refund, the club may require an appropriate veterinary certificate. In the event a dog is withdrawn for other reasons, the test-giving club is free to formulate its own policy with reference to refunds provided that said policy shall be fixed in advance of the mailing of the premium list for any particular Test.

This is as it relates to two things:
    1. No dog on grounds that is in heat. (The Breeder stating that it was - according to the post)
    2. The Vet check requirement for refund on premium.

No where do I see the statement or assumption that a Vet check is required unless otherwise for the refund of a premium. Nor does it state that a Vet check must be completed as a requirement to confirm an admitted state by the owner.

A suspected dog may be tested but when an owner confirms that state - there would be no reason for a Vet check. The dogs state has been established.

I don't know how they do it where you come from, but official bitch checks at events for whatever reason are usually done by a vet.

It is not a quantum leep to think that for a HT committee meeting for disconduct that hinges on the reproductive condition of a bitch, that the bitch check of that bitch would be done by a vet.

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 07-27-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"