The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to start swim bye

IMHO TT is not required but certainly single T with disciplined casting. Not trying to be a smartalec, but do you understand what disciplined casting is? U might want to look at the thread on when to start using an ecollar. It shows the timing of my training with Rowdy. Swimby was delayed waiting on warmer weather. But look at the steps before and the time it took.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...e%29+yard+work

Rowdy would been about 10 months when ready to start swimby if it had not been for cold weather.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 07-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Thanks guys for the info and scolding! Yes I needed it! That was my question is if I was pushing her to fast to far. But that's the thing I'm not pushing her she wants to learn if you don't factor something new in she will get bored and slow down.
    That's how it happens usually. The dog learns very fast, and convinces us, "Okay, she can do this. What comes next?" It's just not enough that she can do it.

In a conversation on another thread someone told me they had done all 4 phases in a four-phase drill, and wondered what they should be doing next. I asked how long they had spent on four-phase drill, and he said one day. The dog just zoomed through it. I informed him that his dog wasn't trained, but rather he had only had a good day! To form lifetime habits takes more than a good day or two, or even a good week or two. Be thorough, step by step, and your foundation won't let you down.

Do you plan to water force this dog?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I'm having trouble accessing the retrievers online page. Not sure if its down or what, but does anyone have a copy of the swim by article that they could email or PM me?

Thanks,

Natalie
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

This will be a dumb question for the OP but... where do you live and do you plan to hunt this dog in the fall?
    Darrin Greene

I live in Macon Mississippi and yes I def am going to hunt her opening day of dove season

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    I live in Macon Mississippi and yes I def am going to hunt her opening day of dove season
    You have several months to get to swim by before the water is too cold. Seems as though it would pay you to get your land work nice and solid the next month, assuming most, if not all your dove retrieves will be on land. You can work on your swim by during dove and up until waterfowl begins. At that point you will have a basic gun dog to work over for the season.

A lot of people will tell you not to hunt the dog this year and I agree with them but I have found there's no stopping a guy with one dog who wants to take it hunting.

So... work on that land work while you can in the early mornings and get it working good for dove season, then jump into the swim by pond in September and October to have water forcing and basic handling by waterfowl season.

That's not the ideal approach but it is a practical one given what you're trying to do with the dog.

There will be clean up in the spring if you want to run tests or advance skills in the field next spring/summer.

If you're cool with that, then go for it. Otherwise you have another few months of training before the dog is really ready to hunt in the eyes of most retriever trainers.

Oh and either get some information on a good swim by sequence or get some help will ya? You obviously need it.

Good luck.
    Darrin Greene

Trifecta, Problem must be on ur end. The link to the article worked for me just now.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"