The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: do you have pics 55 gallon plastic dog house

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    Are you kidding me anyone would even consider a government regulation for a dog house? Next you better not hunt your dog if the water temperature is below 47.5 degrees, then only land retrieves!

I see you're new here. His name is Fallon. John Fallon. You'll get used to it.
    Rick Curtis ~ Now in Ontario, CA

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    According to the USDA regs Barrels, no matter what they ar made of, are illegal in most states, Pa where I live is one of them.
    The USDA Regs in Sec. 3.4(b)(2) of the existing regulations for calculating the floor space for housing dogs require that it have (length of dog in inches + 6) x (width of dog in inches + 6) = the required square inches of floor space.
    It should also be 6 in. taller than the dogs head when the dog is standing.

also see page 166 21.24 (e) http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/dat...-2/26_2_rr.pdf

Except for some of the smaller Labs, the 55 gal barrel does not meet the required criteria.

john

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

john
    Seriously? Who has a dog house as big as that regulation describes? Read it again. That regulation has to do with the size required if you were using a barrel as their kennel, NOT the size if it's their house that they can enter and leave at will. If you were to keep your dogs in a barrel I'd see where that might be a problem but using a barrel for a HOUSE inside their kennel isn't what they're getting at. Anyone keeping their dogs in a barrel deserves whatever the feds want to subject them to, including time in a Dogloo themselves.

Yeah, I'm new here too, but I wasn't born yesterday.

TDM
    Last edited by The_Duck_Master; 07-29-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajun Kamakazi View Post

This is similar to mine. But be careful building a platform on top of the barrels because you're building a heightened platform for the dog to jump out of his kennel.
    Very similar to mine, I don't have the cross bars on the top. Mine are a little higher, makes for easier blow or wash.
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Buck

Quote Originally Posted by The_Duck_Master View Post
    Seriously? Who has a dog house as big as that regulation describes? Read it again. That regulation has to do with the size required if you were using a barrel as their kennel, NOT the size if it's their house that they can enter and leave at will. If you were to keep your dogs in a barrel I'd see where that might be a problem but using a barrel for a HOUSE inside their kennel isn't what they're getting at. Anyone keeping their dogs in a barrel deserves whatever the feds want to subject them to, including time in a Dogloo themselves.

Yeah, I'm new here too, but I wasn't born yesterday.

TDM
    So, I guess you are saying the distinction is... if it is in a chain link or other type of run a barrell is ok.

How about if the dog is on a running line with the barrell at the one end? After all the dog is not confined to the barrell.

Or lets say that the dog is allowed to just roam arround free and the barrell is just available to it whenever it wishes to go "inside"

Sorry but I think you are mistaken.

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 07-29-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    So, I guess you are saying the distinction is... if it is in a chain link or other type of run a barrell is ok.

How about if the dog is on a running line with the barrell at the one end? After all the dog is not confined to the barrell.

Or lets say that the dog is allowed to just roam arround free and the barrell is just available to it whenever it wishes to go "inside"

Sorry but I think you are mistaken.

john
    Actually what he is saying is that the regulation refers to a structure used to confine the dog, not for the dogs housing of which the dog can enter and leave as it wishes. Not sure how being tied to a running line would change the dogs ability to enter and leave a dog house.

Quote Originally Posted by ndk3819 View Post
    Actually what he is saying is that the regulation refers to a structure used to confine the dog, not for the dogs housing of which the dog can enter and leave as it wishes. Not sure how being tied to a running line would change the dogs ability to enter and leave a dog house.
    That is NOT what the regs say on page 165-166 under 21.24 shelter a thru d ...

http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/dat...-2/26_2_rr.pdf

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 07-30-2013 at 07:40 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

This is going no where but in the crapper......

John,
    your link talks of runs and fencing.
    tell us what is larger, a 55 gal drum or the dog boxes in the back of all of our trucks?
    long, wide, high #'s
    is every dog truck on every circut ill eagle? Dogs "live" on those trucks you know.
    And all your years in the game and all the trials you have been at you have done nothing about these ill eagle dog houses?
    Shame shame shame

BTW, very cool you are up and posting again! Love poking at you, you have been missed. Feeling a bit better??
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    John,
    your link talks of runs and fencing.
    tell us what is larger, a 55 gal drum or the dog boxes in the back of all of our trucks?
    long, wide, high #'s
    is every dog truck on every circut ill eagle? Dogs "live" on those trucks you know.
    And all your years in the game and all the trials you have been at you have done nothing about these ill eagle dog houses?
    Shame shame shame

BTW, very cool you are up and posting again! Love poking at you, you have been missed. Feeling a bit better??

Thanks Ken, I am feeling ok for now.

I am not in the enforcement end of it .... but I do mention the regs when I see a thread like this.

don't slay the messinger

john