The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: do you have pics 55 gallon plastic dog house

I think the issue we ( mostly John ) is having is sometimes words have 2 meanings. (credit Zed Zeplin, 1971)
    this is a kennel

and this is a kennel

and John's regs apply to witch one???
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I think the issue we ( mostly John ) is having is sometimes words have 2 meanings. (credit Zed Zeplin, 1971)
    this is a kennel

and this is a kennel

and John's regs apply to witch one???

Did you check out the cited portion of the regs ? "Barrels" not any other type of enclosure are spelled out as being verboten. The size of things like Veri kennels would depend on the size of the dog.

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 07-30-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Having read through most of the document linked above, it's this lay person's opinion that these regulations apply to licensed kennel owner/operators in the state of Pennsylvania: "These amendments are intended to facilitate enforcement of the act by providing kennel licensees a clearer picture of what is expected of them." It does say specifically that "(e) A dog may not be housed on a temporary or permanent basis in a drum or barrel dog house, regardless of the material of which the drum or barrel is constructed." So you licensed kennel owners in PA probably ought to skip the K-9 Condos and their imitations.

The rest of us can breathe easy, LOL.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    That is NOT what the regs say on page 165-166 under 21.24 shelter a thru d ...

http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/dat...-2/26_2_rr.pdf

john
    Another reference for PA Law. Applies to all dog owners not just folks with one of the various Kennel Licenses required if you house over X number of dogs..

Pennsylvania "Dog Law" Act 119.
    (b) Housing.--It shall be unlawful for the owner or keeper of a dog to house the dog for any period of time in a drum, barrel, refrigerator or freezer regardless of the material of which the drum, barrel, refrigerator or freezer is constructed.
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...08/0/0119..HTM
    I used 55gal plastic barrels within Preifert kennels for years in PA in plain view of major state road. Had no issues but could have if someone felt like it.
    Last edited by Breck; 07-30-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Back to the OP's question, here is a link to a great dog house website that does provide a kit for barrels.........http://www.k-9kondo.com/k-9-kondo-do...free-shipping/

I don't currently use the barrel concept but have in the past. I currently use the Dog Den 2 for my dogs. Doesn't sound like they would meet Fallon's reg's either but a dog does better and actually prefers a smaller space to snuggle up on cold nights, IMO.
    David Didier, GA

I bought heavy sheets of plastic to put behind the inside of my dog runs on indoor/outdoor runs. Got it from the mail order place that sells all that stuff (can't remember the name of it). Anyway, on my barrels i cut out half of the front and then simply put a rectangular sheet of the plastic and drilled a hole through the plastic and barrels and attached with bolts. I didn't do the back, it just sits on the ground. Rambunctious dogs can turn them over if they want, but in the winter they leave them alone. I take them out in the summer and put Kooleros in the inside runs. You could use a piece of wood for this too but the dogs would chew it badly. The heavy plastic is about 3/16 thick. I tilt the front of the barrell where its off the floor, supported by the rectangle of plastic. the back sits on the kennel floor.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

thanks for the info!!