The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fracking

Default Fracking

http://townhall.com/columnists/pauld...1648970/page/2
    Obviously, the author of this piece favors fracking. Those on the forum may have varying opinions on fracking ... what I found interesting about this article though is the description of what the process really is. Some of you science guys probably already understood this stuff.

Fracking has been around since 1947, according to this article. The process has undergone continual improvement and added safeguards.

It's also interesting to note that the amount of water used for fracking is MUCH less than what is used for ethanol production or soybean diesel, not to mention watering our lawns. If we're really concerned about our water supply, we might do well to eat the corn & use the CNG to run our vehicles.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://townhall.com/columnists/pauld...1648970/page/2
    Obviously, the author of this piece favors fracking. Those on the forum may have varying opinions on fracking ... what I found interesting about this article though is the description of what the process really is. Some of you science guys probably already understood this stuff.

Fracking has been around since 1947, according to this article. The process has undergone continual improvement and added safeguards.

It's also interesting to note that the amount of water used for fracking is MUCH less than what is used for ethanol production or soybean diesel, not to mention watering our lawns. If we're really concerned about our water supply, we might do well to eat the corn & use the CNG to run our vehicles.
    Exactly...
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post

X2. Putting ethanol in the fuel is a terrible use of resources. CNG burns more efficiently than Ethanol blend fuels.

CNG is superior to gasoline.

"In terms of miles per gallon, a regular gasoline-powered car averages thirty two miles per gallon while a CNG-powered car averages forty three miles per gallon.
    Lastly, the car oil in a CNG-powered car does not need to be changed as often as the gasoline-powered counterpart because of the cleaner burning ability of CNG.

"

http://www.allaboutcngvehicles.com/cng-vs-gasoline/

Another benefit to CNG is that it is so plentiful, a USA conversion to CNG would make us energy independent. So plentiful that we don't even need to Frack for it!
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

The main issue with fracking is not so much the amount of water used, but the possible pollution of groundwater from it. Ethanol is a bad alternative in so many ways.

CNG is very interesting. It can also fuel heavy trucks as a replacement for diesel. CNG also can easily be made from waste, like food waste or sludge from wastewater treatment plants (which is now over applied on farmland and can put nasty things when it runs off into rivers). What would also be interesting, if the corn ethanol lobby in Congress would ever be broken is get automakers to make the cars run on methanol as well. It is not a difficult upgrade and methanol can be made from natural gas (or syn-gas) and can be used in the existing liquid fuel infrastructure.

Over the last three years I was in a job that required me to travel to South America frequently (I retired in January). Last year in Argentina I had to hire a taxi cab to drive me 200 mile into the interior of the country. About half way to our destination we had to stop to get gas. We pulled into a little country store, and the driver asked me to get out of the car. I told him I was ok, and that I would just wait until he was done. He said, sorry but the law requires that all passengers are not in the car. So I got out, it was then I noticed he had opened the hood of the car and was hooking up a hose up to a connection in the car. To my amazement I realized he was putting Natural Gas into the car. I already know that it is a better fuel alternative than Ethanol blend fuels or anything that we are using including electric cars. I also know that our reserves of Natural Gas are enormous and growing. I have natural gas already in my home, I could have a home pump that would automatically charge me for my use. Can anyone tell me why we are not doing this now? We could become 100% free of energy reliance from countries who want to bury us.....Why are we not moving down this road?

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Over the last three years I was in a job that required me to travel to South America frequently (I retired in January). Last year in Argentina I had to hire a taxi cab to drive me 200 mile into the interior of the country. About half way to our destination we had to stop to get gas. We pulled into a little country store, and the driver asked me to get out of the car. I told him I was ok, and that I would just wait until he was done. He said, sorry but the law requires that all passengers are not in the car. So I got out, it was then I noticed he had opened the hood of the car and was hooking up a hose up to a connection in the car. To my amazement I realized he was putting Natural Gas into the car. I already know that it is a better fuel alternative than Ethanol blend fuels or anything that we are using including electric cars. I also know that our reserves of Natural Gas are enormous and growing. I have natural gas already in my home, I could have a home pump that would automatically charge me for my use. Can anyone tell me why we are not doing this now? We could become 100% free of energy reliance from countries who want to bury us.....Why are we not moving down this road?
    I think we will eventually, as soon as the $$$ finds a way around the present refining systems. It's somewhat analogous to thew reasons we don't have a thriving solar powered system...primarily because no power company has found a way to meter the sun. It's ALWAYS about the money.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I think we will eventually, as soon as the $$$ finds a way around the present refining systems. It's somewhat analogous to thew reasons we don't have a thriving solar powered system...primarily because no power company has found a way to meter the sun. It's ALWAYS about the money.

UB
    I agree with your comments, I think we as individuals can do this without anyone else involved. I have natural gas lines in my house, I bet I can find a company who will install something in my garage to put gas in my car. I also know that getting your car to work on natural gas and regular gas is no big deal as my father in law did it way back when Carter was Pres, and the gas shortage was a problem (of course he covered to propane, but no difference as far as conversions) I am actually going to check this all out....if it makes since cost wise, I may start my own business.....would you pay me $5,000 bucks to set up a system in your house to fill your tanks and covert your vehicles?

If I could get natural gas at my house I would convert my heat in a second. Im in NC and I hate my heat pump.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...gy-revolution/
    Interesting piece on natural gas policy.

If the energy people build their pipelines for the supplies in other places, they will have less $ available to replicate similar infrastructure in the US. So, with all this potential, we could miss the boat.

I was unaware of the implications of the trade agreements as well. Another case of us breaking our own laws (treaty commitments)?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.