The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cooling fans?

Default cooling fans?

What type of fans do you use when dog is in a crate in car/truck at training days or hunt test? How do you power them? Any other favorite cooling remedies? Unusually hot summer here in Maine, and my old cheap plastic fans that use D batteries just quit after 3 years

Before I had my dog box I used an older version of these. Have a couple charged batteries on hand and you are good to go!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...#/?c=1&1aw=1aw
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)
    Good Idea's The Cutting Edge- "Edge" 9/29/2014 (Grady x Good Idea's Touch of Class)

Endless breeze fan, only had it a couple of weeks but it sure is nice. I run it on 1 of those portable battery contraptions that u can jump your car with. It has a DC plug-in I only use that though when I'm not driving cuz it only lasts about 4 hrs. Otherwise it's plugged directly into dc plug in vehicle.
    I have an AC power plug in car which I can use to charge the portable battery when it starts to get low simply by starting my car.
    Last edited by uplandbird; 07-28-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    Endless breeze fan
    X's 2

Pushes the equivalent of a 10 mph breeze
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Default DC Power source

Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    Endless breeze fan, only had it a couple of weeks but it sure is nice. I run it on 1 of those portable battery contraptions that u can jump your car with. It has a DC plug-in I only use that though when I'm not driving cuz it only lasts about 4 hrs. Otherwise it's plugged directly into dc plug in vehicle.
    I have an AC power plug in car which I can use to charge the portable battery when it starts to get low simply by starting my car.
    I had a 3 bank DC plug installed in the back of my truck. It was an $80 install and has been the best investment for me and the dogs. You can use a wide variety of dc fans, that can run forever without running down your battery. In cold weather you can run DC heater/fans, while your vehicle is running. I use them to charge collars overnight and I have a mounted DC light fixture, for when extra light is required.

A little long winded, but I,m hooked on the DC outlets.
    "Remember, it's about the Dog and the Dog work, it's not about you"

I too use the Endless Breeze 12v DC fan with a Costco 12v Jump Starter when parked (training, Hunt Test, etc.). I also have a 13 watt 12 volt portable solar panel (1.1 amps) to keep the battery topped off to extend the battery charge. The Endless Breeze fan has 3 speeds that consume 1 amp, 1.5 amps and 2.5 amps so the lower the speed, the longer the fan will work.

How much time do you get off the 12v jump starter when running your fan?
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

problem is even though there are 3 different spots in my Subaru to plug into, they only have power when the vehicle is running. Both our F-150 and my hubby's Avalanche work truck outlets deliver power when the vehicles are turned off. the fans I used to use ran from those outlets on the trip to and from the test, then I used D batteries while parked.

Thanks for all the info. My Subaru DC outlets don't have power when the vehicle is off. Used to run my cheapo fans plugged in while driving and D batteries otherwise. I like solar panel idea(yeah, I am kind of an old Maine hippie), but I'll have to have reliable back up so I don't cook my pup. It can be hot even when it is cloudy. I have seen several people use the jumpstart things. Any ideas how long they last at full draw on power? Another thought I had was a small deep cell(marine)battery as power source. I saw lots of the Ryobi fans last year, very few this year. Where did they go? broken? just wondering. Thanks again for all the ideas. I am fairly new here, what a great resource!

Oops, sorry for double post, new to this, and still learning! I did not think the 1st comment went through. Don't mean to be annoying, thanks again.