The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cooling fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
    How much time do you get off the 12v jump starter when running your fan?
    As I said, it varies depending on fan speed.

Here in So Cal it can get pretty hot. I use a wire kennel for maximum air circulation. I use a reflective mesh tarp over the kennel for shade. Plenty of fresh water in the kennel and run the fan when there is no breeze. I plug a double female adapter into the charger with an input from the solar panel and an output to the fan. I kind of nurse the usage so the battery lasts for two days of a hunt test (I usually tent camp) and if/when I move the Jeep I plug the charger into a DC outlet to charge it from the alternator.

I think it depends upon the requirement and the environment in which the dogs are living or are being carried.
    It is not necessary to use the same power or cooling all the time.
    It varies according the situation and position of the dogs at the spot.

Last edited by skyRose; 11-22-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    The root of the evil is not the construction of new, more dreadful weapons. It is the spirit of conquest

bump to top

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
    How much time do you get off the 12v jump starter when running your fan?
    It all depends on how many Amp Hours are in the battery and how many Amps the fan draws.

Seems most of those $50 jump start boxes you find at WalMart, Autozone & Lowes have a 7ah or 8ah battery in them. You have to do a little math to determine how long the will work because each fan draws a different amount.

The Endless Breeze fan has 3 speeds that consume 1 amp, 1.5 amps and 2.5 amps so the lower the speed, the longer the fan will work.

Divide battery capacity of 7ah by 1amp the fan draws and that equals = 7 hours of run time on low speed.
    7ah divided by 2.5amp = 2.8 hours of run time on high, etc.

You can buy these rechargeable 12 volt batteries for about $15-$20 (often times used to power deer feeders and or power supplies for cableTV equipment, power wheels, etc). They come in all shapes n sizes, but the most common are also in that 7ah-8ah range.
    Attachment 14694 Attachment 14695 Attachment 14696

The deep cycle marine batteries have much more Amp Hour capacity, and therefore will power your devices for much longer. $50 at Academy will get you a 40ah battery. $100 will get about 100 ah.

12 volt deep.jpg
    You might even have a 12 volt drill battery somewhere in the garage. These will power the fan for a few minutes, although most of these are in the 2ah range.
    Attachment 14697

These little fans are cheap and readily available and work fairly well. They don't draw as many amps (I think they draw .5 on low about just under 1amp on high). With just a little McGyvering with some wire, you can get em to run off 12 volt batteries.

Attachment 14698Attachment 14699 battery clips.jpg 12 volt clips.jpg
    Last edited by TN_LAB; 08-20-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by dogluvah View Post
    problem is even though there are 3 different spots in my Subaru to plug into, they only have power when the vehicle is running. Both our F-150 and my hubby's Avalanche work truck outlets deliver power when the vehicles are turned off. the fans I used to use ran from those outlets on the trip to and from the test, then I used D batteries while parked.
    my 4 runner is the same way. just turn the key to acessory (where just the radio is playing not a/c) i've let mine run 3 hours on the 3rd speed level. then on the drive home alternator will recharge the battery. or if your gonna be there awhile crank the car up and let the battery charge

I just bought an endless breeze fan for my dog box. How water resistant are they? Can I leave them attached to the door of the dog box or should I take it off if it could get wet?

Quote Originally Posted by marsh View Post
    I just bought an endless breeze fan for my dog box. How water resistant are they? Can I leave them attached to the door of the dog box or should I take it off if it could get wet?
    According to the fellow I bought it from you can hose it off cuz it's waterproof. Haven't done it yet but he guaranteed it would NOT hurt it! I haven't removed from kennel and it has gotten wet but not soaked, with zero problems.
    I like this fan a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

My past three trucks '03 S-10 , '05 Silverado and '12 Silverado all had an extra under-hood battery installed. I wired the additional battery back to the truck bed(amped/protected) and attach a 3 hole DC female unit (obtained from Grainger $16/fused) using industrial strength velcro. I can move it at will if needed. I switched last year to 12" Fantastic Breeze fans and attach their base to a moveable base board. I got tired of all those small 6" plug-in dc fans. I never worry about battery drain since this additional battery is only for my bed sockets. I have run the fans overnight/day 24/2 and do not have to worry about starting my vehicle. Just think folks of thousands of $ /time we spend on these dogs this set-up works unless you funnel air-conditioning to the back. I tried and it is so-so. Lastly get your self a remote heat sensor for the dog area and have the reader in your cab. Cheap @ WalMart - $15 ! It works.

You can install a switch in your cab and run the fan off your battery. Any local car radio place should be able to do the work for you.

Does the dog really need to have a cooling fan during hot days?