RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

cooling fans?

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  TN_LAB 
#1 ·
What type of fans do you use when dog is in a crate in car/truck at training days or hunt test? How do you power them? Any other favorite cooling remedies? Unusually hot summer here in Maine, and my old cheap plastic fans that use D batteries just quit after 3 years :(

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Endless breeze fan, only had it a couple of weeks but it sure is nice. I run it on 1 of those portable battery contraptions that u can jump your car with. It has a DC plug-in I only use that though when I'm not driving cuz it only lasts about 4 hrs. Otherwise it's plugged directly into dc plug in vehicle.
I have an AC power plug in car which I can use to charge the portable battery when it starts to get low simply by starting my car.

#6 ·
I too use the Endless Breeze 12v DC fan with a Costco 12v Jump Starter when parked (training, Hunt Test, etc.). I also have a 13 watt 12 volt portable solar panel (1.1 amps) to keep the battery topped off to extend the battery charge. The Endless Breeze fan has 3 speeds that consume 1 amp, 1.5 amps and 2.5 amps so the lower the speed, the longer the fan will work.

#11 ·
As I said, it varies depending on fan speed.

Here in So Cal it can get pretty hot. I use a wire kennel for maximum air circulation. I use a reflective mesh tarp over the kennel for shade. Plenty of fresh water in the kennel and run the fan when there is no breeze. I plug a double female adapter into the charger with an input from the solar panel and an output to the fan. I kind of nurse the usage so the battery lasts for two days of a hunt test (I usually tent camp) and if/when I move the Jeep I plug the charger into a DC outlet to charge it from the alternator.

#8 ·
problem is even though there are 3 different spots in my Subaru to plug into, they only have power when the vehicle is running. Both our F-150 and my hubby's Avalanche work truck outlets deliver power when the vehicles are turned off. the fans I used to use ran from those outlets on the trip to and from the test, then I used D batteries while parked.

#15 ·
my 4 runner is the same way. just turn the key to acessory (where just the radio is playing not a/c) i've let mine run 3 hours on the 3rd speed level. then on the drive home alternator will recharge the battery. or if your gonna be there awhile crank the car up and let the battery charge

#9 ·
Thanks for all the info. My Subaru DC outlets don't have power when the vehicle is off. Used to run my cheapo fans plugged in while driving and D batteries otherwise. I like solar panel idea(yeah, I am kind of an old Maine hippie), but I'll have to have reliable back up so I don't cook my pup. It can be hot even when it is cloudy. I have seen several people use the jumpstart things. Any ideas how long they last at full draw on power? Another thought I had was a small deep cell(marine)battery as power source. I saw lots of the Ryobi fans last year, very few this year. Where did they go? broken? just wondering. Thanks again for all the ideas. I am fairly new here, what a great resource!

#12 · (Edited)
I think it depends upon the requirement and the environment in which the dogs are living or are being carried.
It is not necessary to use the same power or cooling all the time.
It varies according the situation and position of the dogs at the spot.

#17 ·
According to the fellow I bought it from you can hose it off cuz it's waterproof. Haven't done it yet but he guaranteed it would NOT hurt it! I haven't removed from kennel and it has gotten wet but not soaked, with zero problems.
I like this fan a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

#18 ·
My past three trucks '03 S-10 , '05 Silverado and '12 Silverado all had an extra under-hood battery installed. I wired the additional battery back to the truck bed(amped/protected) and attach a 3 hole DC female unit (obtained from Grainger $16/fused) using industrial strength velcro. I can move it at will if needed. I switched last year to 12" Fantastic Breeze fans and attach their base to a moveable base board. I got tired of all those small 6" plug-in dc fans. I never worry about battery drain since this additional battery is only for my bed sockets. I have run the fans overnight/day 24/2 and do not have to worry about starting my vehicle. Just think folks of thousands of $ /time we spend on these dogs this set-up works unless you funnel air-conditioning to the back. I tried and it is so-so. Lastly get your self a remote heat sensor for the dog area and have the reader in your cab. Cheap @ WalMart - $15 ! It works.

#21 ·
Not always, but when it does need them...you'd better have them.

There are lots of other measures you can (and need) to take to protect your dog. It's a long list, but most folks would agree that parking in the shade and keeping the dog hydrated are solid tips. Others will also chime in about letting the dog cool off before putting it back in the box and making sure the box is adequately ventilated.

So, the answer is NO...fans are not needed, until they are needed...and then you do need them :)

Sincerely,

Mr. Ounce of Prevention :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.