The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dandruff shampoo

Default Dandruff shampoo

Looking for a good dandruff shampoo or a homemade version for the dogs. Been using horse n mane shampoo and conditioner and its not cutting it.

Banned

I would use a shampoo called Clean Start by Chris Christensen. I love that shampoo and you can dilute it 6 to 1. Start though with a mild vinegar rinse then shampoo. If it doesn't help change foods.

Human "Head & Shoulders" or "Selsun Blue" as recommended by my vet, worked great, also used it when I was grooming.
    No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a Labrador Retriever makes you rich!

www.akskennels.net

Whenever one of my dogs has had a minor skin issue and they're ready for a bath, I use Nutragena T-Gel or the generic equivalent (check for same percent of active ingredient). Works like a charm.

I think I got this from a vet 20+ years ago, I'm not sure.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Banned

The shampoos do work well because they have topical zinc and selenium. Persistent dandruff can be a sign of zinc deficiency that is why changing food might help. Zinc is very hard to absorb so it should be in the food in the right form, attached to an amino acid.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    The shampoos do work well because they have topical zinc and selenium. Persistent dandruff can be a sign of zinc deficiency that is why changing food might help. Zinc is very hard to absorb so it should be in the food in the right form, attached to an amino acid.
    Now that I think about it my last lab had dandruff too on the same brand food. Using the shampoo does the zinc absorb into the skin? Its not major dandruff but enough to want to get rid of it. Ill try the shampoo for a month or so and if it don't work ill look at a different food again. lol. Thanks for the info

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Lotta Zoom View Post
    Now that I think about it my last lab had dandruff too on the same brand food. Using the shampoo does the zinc absorb into the skin? Its not major dandruff but enough to want to get rid of it. Ill try the shampoo for a month or so and if it don't work ill look at a different food again. lol. Thanks for the info
    It does get absorbed in the skin, but people wash their hair everyday. How frequently can or should you bathe a dog? There are some really good topical zinc products for things like sore pads but its not practical for flaky skin. It could be just seasonal or fixable with more frequent brushing. The diets that have come from sledding have more and better forms of zinc because Huskies have a really hard time with zinc absorption, Dr. Tim's, Annamaet, Red Paw.

Is this a puppy? Some dogs, and especially puppies, shed dandruff like crazy when they get stressed. My golden hates riding in a vehicle. (Never had a dog that feared car rides before; been a new experience for me, but that's a different topic.) When she was a puppy, she'd be covered with dandruff flakes after every car ride. It doesn't happen anymore, but I don't know if she gets less stressed or if adult dogs don't have the dandruff reaction that puppies do.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

We go to Walmart and go to the "ethnic" section. We buy Palmer's olive oil shampoo to wash our AWS's. Sometimes we mix the Palmer's with something with a lot of coconut oil. We never have a problem with dandruff. BTW, this shampoo is cheap.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)