The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Undescending testicle - inheritance?

Default Undescending testicle - inheritance?

Would like to enquire the mode of inheritance thoughts? Autosomal recessive???????
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

I believe that's the prevailing theory. At least in dogs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Would like to enquire the mode of inheritance thoughts? Autosomal recessive???????
    Things are not always inherited Sometimes sh$@t just happens.
    Issues that happen once out of certain lines I put it into the latter category. The recurring theme issues, i start looking at inheritance. And yes, it is thought to be autosomal recessive. I am sure they will come up with a DNA test for it.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

My current Male Golden was purchased from a Breeder in Oregon. We got him in October 2005, he had a strong field pedigree and the breeder seemed to be a good hobby breeder. The day after he arrived we took him to our vet to have him checked over. We found he had a testicle that had not dropped. Our breeder had assured us that the dog had been checked by their vet prior to flying to us. I called the breeder and asked that he 'discount' the dog to us as he was not shall we say, in tact'. I was upset, but since we were not planning to breed him, it was not a deal breaker. The breeder 'blew me off' and acted all upset that I would ask for a partial refund......obviously, I would never use this guy again or recommend him to anyone. At least maybe he knows to challenge his vet, if in fact his vet had checked the puppy over prior to sending to us.....

This study is 5 years old and should be complete. Perhaps the results were ambiguous.

http://www.akcchf.org/research/funde...arch/0882.html

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    My current Male Golden was purchased from a Breeder in Oregon. We got him in October 2005, he had a strong field pedigree and the breeder seemed to be a good hobby breeder. The day after he arrived we took him to our vet to have him checked over. We found he had a testicle that had not dropped. Our breeder had assured us that the dog had been checked by their vet prior to flying to us. I called the breeder and asked that he 'discount' the dog to us as he was not shall we say, in tact'. I was upset, but since we were not planning to breed him, it was not a deal breaker. The breeder 'blew me off' and acted all upset that I would ask for a partial refund......obviously, I would never use this guy again or recommend him to anyone. At least maybe he knows to challenge his vet, if in fact his vet had checked the puppy over prior to sending to us.....
    Testicles may not drop for up to 6-8 months. How could either vet know what would happen? I've been in similar situations having owned or trained dogs with this condition and in my experience most breeders don't allow for this in their contracts. Really sucks if the plan was to breed. Don't know who you were dealing with but I'm pretty familiar with most the retriever folks in Oregon.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

A very uni-que situation!

Can't he get the job done with just one? I had a buddy who had to have one removed, and he says he can still do the job with the remaining one.
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    My current Male Golden was purchased from a Breeder in Oregon. We got him in October 2005, he had a strong field pedigree and the breeder seemed to be a good hobby breeder. The day after he arrived we took him to our vet to have him checked over.
    It's a bit late for this dog but for other readers.....

How old was the dog when the vet checked? If the breeder's vet found both and yours didn't, it's likely that time would have resolved the issue in favor of both descending. As said, 6-8 months is not out of the question.

Which one was "missing"? Generally accepted is the concept that if the left one is down, both will descend. If only the right one, there may be cause for concern. This because physiologically, they both descend through a common opening that is only big enough for them to descend one at a time and they are lined up so that the left one is first in line. If the left doesn't descend, the right one can't. If the left one does, the right may or may not.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

My one time experience for what it's worth. Breeder's vet exam showed one testicle undescended. Darn near didn't take the pup. Two weeks later at the initial exam by my vet testicle had descended.

Keep sending pedigrees please: juliecramond@internode.on.net
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.