The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for ideas to get dog to keep his nose off the ground on the way to the line

Default Looking for ideas to get dog to keep his nose off the ground on the way to the line

Posting this for one of the newer handlers in our training group: She has a MH (3 years old) who has never been used as a stud, however his love of the "women" is hindering his work at hunt tests. She works at training with him to keep his head up both in the blind and the way to the line, but in a test, without the collar or stick, he practically glues his nose to the ground. Yesterday he went out in the third series. On the way to the line, she had a hard time heeling him as he stopped cold, put his nose down and stayed there while the judges waited impatiently for her to get him under control. While at the line, as the first bird went off, his nose was in the grass, not looking for the birds. Not surprisingly, he picked up the first birds two clean, then ran all over the place looking for the memory bird, which of course he never saw, and ended up finding and picking up the hot blind. She is looking for help (and ideas to get him back to business) as she is becoming very frustrated with him. Appreciate any help you can offer!

Neuter him
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Train with more dogs and work on team work. My male likes to try and sniff as well. I keep him on lead and make him keep eye contact with me in the holding blind and not sniff. Males are going to want to sniff everything but it is time to work.

Retrievers Online has a warm up routine that has helped us get on the same page and get him in the teamwork mode before we get toward the holding blind.

I dont think neutering will help. That doesnt take the desire to smell out of a dog.
    Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Train with more dogs and work on team work. My male likes to try and sniff as well. I keep him on lead and make him keep eye contact with me in the holding blind and not sniff. Males are going to want to sniff everything but it is time to work.

Retrievers Online has a warm up routine that has helped us get on the same page and get him in the teamwork mode before we get toward the holding blind. I dont think neutering will help. That doesnt take the desire to smell out of a dog.
    Russell
    What issue are you refering to?

Thank you
    JW

Could you send the routine you were talking about? I don't belong to Retrievers on line. Thanks for your help.

First, RetrieversOnline. The warm up I am familiar with is on his dvd Training Retrievers Alone. He may have also written about it. If you go to his website he has an index of past articles. You can order individual articles very cheaply, like $5.00 or something like that.

Second, Dog sniffing. I had a dog like that and even worse. Here's what worked for me. I put a couple of females on stakeout (not males). I would walk my dog on lead (at first) by the females. If he tried to sniff or go over to them, I would use pressure on a command he knew, like sit or here. At first I kept my body between me and the females. As he got better I heeled him on the females side. After a while he would look in the opposite direction as we passed by them.

Then I put the staked out females out on the way to the line and maybe even one in the honor position. The problem went away. This was for my retired lab, Hudson, so it was quite a while ago, maybe 9 or more.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

That's exactly the kind of help I was looking for! She's with a training group prepaing for Master Nationals, so she has plenty of opportunity to work on it! (One of the females is in heat right now, should be a great training experience.)

Some dogs that have not been forced... or only "partially forced" think they can do this kind of thing whenever they want. I should know... I had one like that years ago.

He may need to be forced if he never was in the first place. Or a good refresher, if he was... Just my two cents.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    Bill, your PM box is full
    Walt
    cleared Walt! thanks
    Bill Davis

May want to make sure any female in heat (out when he is out) has a diaper on in case she can't control him to help prevent an accidental breeding. At least that would give someone time to pry him off of her.