The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: no go thread

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    OK here is the update. Remember as you read this this dog had a bowl obstruction and surgery to remove the rock he swallowed. Really bad infection because of a leak after they took a section of intestine out. Owner had to give antibiotic shots three times a day for a month to clear up infection. So here is the update. Put the dog up for two weeks to give him a break. Dog came out full of fire as we started with basics. Took our time and progressed slowly and all was well. After some pressure was put on him he started the no go again. Owner was ready to move the dog and was thinking the dog would not make it. So here is the interesting part a training partner that happens to be a lady decided to take him in a give it a whirl. The dog responded to her like you would not believe. Never a no go and is having the time of his life training with her and she can pressure him with no trouble. Like a new dog. What we as a group came out with is that the shots three times a day by the owner (dog hated the shots and would run for the hills) left such a bad memory in the dog that any time he put pressure on him he would break down and no go. Waynes advice I do believe was correct and thank you sir for your input.
    This tells me that, the only thing that worked is to send the dog to someone else.

Good luck
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    This tells me that, the only thing that worked is to send the dog to someone else.

Good luck
    Keith
    I agree with truthseeker,
    Wayne is a great guy and posts helpfull vids. And not to pick nits BUT....
    if the dog still will not run for the first owner. Putting the dog up for a week was a moot point
    all the best to the dog and fresh start with new handler!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

You are correct that it was not the cure but putting the dog up was instrumentle in finding the root problem.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

You are correct that it was not the cure but putting the dog up was instrumentle in finding the root problem.
    OK I'll bite and in no way is this a slam on Wayne. I happen to agree at times it is smart to let a dog have some time off. However, in this case I don't follow your logic of how it was instrumental to finding the root problem. Thanks.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

If you say so, but IMHO, It think it was a wast of time.

Keith

It was a waste of time. They put the dog up. Yet once the handler brought him back it returned. Another handler took over and the dog changed. They clearly didn't didn't pay one ounce of attention to one word I wrote. This ia a perfect example of why rtf is a waste of time for experienced trainers to give advice. Idiots take the simple advice of idiots, end end up in he same exact place. What a waste of time I spent even trying to explain it. I hope these people, for the sake of my clients, enter every ht or ft my clients do. I should have shoveled dog shit into a wheelbarrow instead of giving advice to these idiots, it wold have been better time spent

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    It was a waste of time. They put the dog up. Yet once the handler brought him back it returned. Another handler took over and the dog changed. They clearly didn't didn't pay one ounce of attention to one word I wrote. This ia a perfect example of why rtf is a waste of time for experienced trainers to give advice. Idiots take the simple advice of idiots, end end up in he same exact place. What a waste of time I spent even trying to explain it. I hope these people, for the sake of my clients, enter every ht or ft my clients do. I should have shoveled dog shit into a wheelbarrow instead of giving advice to these idiots, it wold have been better time spent

/Paul
    No I don't think anyone's time has been wasted. The comments have been valuable for this thread and others who may have a similar issue. Believe it or not. IMO We do know for sure the owner is the problem and hopefully they sort things out based on what had been stated in the thread or use another method or have him sell the dog to someone else. Good luck to them.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

As per advice from Wayne the time the dog was put up was for handler and dog to come back fresh and start new. Both were at wits end. It gave time to step back and restart. That is why I think it was good advice from Wayne. We as a training group are in no time crunch to get titles and a week off is no big deal. If other people think differently that is fine but no need to attack our intelligence.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post

/Paul
    Gosh Paul, I hope your week improves!

Get outside, catch some sun and fresh air, train some dogs, maybe stay off the computer. Life's too short to get worked up because someone chose one training suggestion over another.

Have fun. Enjoy your dogs.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I'm pretty sure I know the owner of this dog, he is a very very nice man that feels horrible about what happened with this dog. I think the animosity towards him is very unprofessional on Paul's part.
    Something to think about..

image-1212147477.jpg