The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how often do you feed?

Twice a day. I feel that if you time ur feedings correctly bloat won't be an issue. Feed in am at 7 unless we are training and its a weekend. then I feed as soon as I get up and then by time I get ready and drive an hour to training grounds he's good to go. Might volunteer to run last if I feel I didn't get a full 2 hours in. If its a short training session and in the summer it usually is then ill hold off till we get back around 11 am.

In the afternoon come home train till 630 or 7 feed at 9. If not training feed when I come home which lets him know he's got the afternoon off.

Cup and a half in am 2 cups in pm. Victor hi pro plus. Up till he was 6 months it was 3 times a day when I could. Course feeding eukanuba large breed puppy and its high corn content he was supposed to be getting 6 cups a day. Good no corn food requires less intake to get proper amount of nutrients

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    Twice a day. I feel that if you time ur feedings correctly bloat won't be an issue. Feed in am at 7 unless we are training and its a weekend. then I feed as soon as I get up and then by time I get ready and drive an hour to training grounds he's good to go. Might volunteer to run last if I feel I didn't get a full 2 hours in. If its a short training session and in the summer it usually is then ill hold off till we get back around 11 am.

In the afternoon come home train till 630 or 7 feed at 9. If not training feed when I come home which lets him know he's got the afternoon off.

Cup and a half in am 2 cups in pm. Victor hi pro plus. Up till he was 6 months it was 3 times a day when I could. Course feeding eukanuba large breed puppy and its high corn content he was supposed to be getting 6 cups a day. Good no corn food requires less intake to get proper amount of nutrients
    That's OK fine, if you want to make that calculation, but I just take it out of the picture.
    Keith

Twice a day!

I am currently feeding 2x a day because Hudson's current food is not calorically dense at all; once we transition to Dr. Tims, we will go down to once a day as he will be eating a much smaller amount (2c vs. 6c).

Most of the newer research out there suggests that feeding once a day may be better for performance dogs due to reduced gut fill; reduced need for bloodflow to the gut, and the dog not having a large intestine/colon that is filled. I have fed 2x a day for years, but am going to at least try the once a day thing to see if it does seem to make a difference.

Natalie
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

twice....around 7am and then 330-4ish....

Once a day, in the evening.

Our dogs are trained every day and hunt every day of the bird seasons. Both Purina and Iams have conducted studies of working dogs and have determined that the optimal conversion of nutrients and fat stores to energy takes place on a relatively empty stomach, recognizing that dogs take approximately 24 hours to metabolize a meal. I seem to remember that Lardy would not feed his dogs as much as 24 hours before a trial for this very reason. I know it has worked for us, too.

Here's a couple of quick articles on the subject: Feeding for Performance Purina® Pro Club® , How to Feed Your Hunting Dog Outdoor Life
    Mark

I'm real concerned about bloat and feed twice a day. I adjust the times if we exercies close to feeding time and wait an hour at least.
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Once a day, in the evening.

Our dogs are trained every day and hunt every day of the bird seasons. Both Purina and Iams have conducted studies of working dogs and have determined that the optimal conversion of nutrients and fat stores to energy takes place on a relatively empty stomach, recognizing that dogs take approximately 24 hours to metabolize a meal. I seem to remember that Lardy would not feed his dogs as much as 24 hours before a trial for this very reason. I know it has worked for us, too.

Here's a couple of quick articles on the subject: Feeding for Performance Purina® Pro Club® , How to Feed Your Hunting Dog Outdoor Life
    Thanks, it was a good read.

Keith