The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HT...How can a newbie help?

Default HT...How can a newbie help?

As a newbie, I'm going to attend my clubs (recently joined) HRC event in September. I've never been to a HT or FT. I do want to do a little observing; however, I am more than willing to do my part in helping. I hear of "good" bird throwers and such. As a newbie who has never done any of this, what can I do (and not screw up) to help? Just trying to get an idea of what I can expect. I'm going to try and get with the VP of the club, who's also going to train my pup, and see if I can come watch him train between now and Sept to get some sort of idea. I'm also going to try and get to another club's HT to observe as well.

My suggestion is to ask the HT chair or committee what you can help with. There is NEVER enough help and I am sure they will put you to work.
    That said do,let them know this is your fist event and that you would like to take it in. If I were chair, or committee member, I would appreciate your offer, but would encourage you to spend the weekend watching and learning. There will be plenty more test to help with. If you really want to show you want to be a part an help, offer to help clean up and put equipment away. That is always a though one because everybody wants to get home. Helping at the end will allow you to,take everything in and still make a contributions.
    If they have a tailgate and/or raffle those are good things to help with, again because they take place at the end of the day. There are also,organizations things you could help with before.
    JUST ASK!!!!

Welcome to the addiction
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

First, as Cory said, ask ahead of time.

Things you can do without much experience, and still get to watch during the day:

volunteer to pick up ice for the coolers. This means getting up extra early, picking up the ice, and helping to fill coolers with ice. This probably means you will end up helping with other things since you are there. It also means someone else does not have to get up early.

volunteer to pick up and deliver lunches. Often means leaving the test to go get the food, and delivering it to each of the stakes.

help cleanup in the evening. Means your staying late after everyone else has left for dinner. Includes things like sorting equipment, draining and refilling coolers, and doing whatever else you can to get things staged for the next day, or stored for next year. By doing this, someone else doesn't have to stay late, or everyone gets to leave earlier because there are more people knocking out the work.

There are a lot of things you can do to help during the day, too, but if you are new, you will also want to watch the event itself, and see what exactly goes on. If you pay attention to the setup and running of the event, you should be able to pick up on what is going on to make the event happen. Things like setting up each of the gun stations. setting up holding blids, bagging the birds as the bird rack fills up, rebirding the gun stations, marshalling, etc. Often, things like offering to carry one of the two bags of birds someone is lugging, can be a great help.
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

Get there early, find the HT leader, offer to help at every turn when something is needed. Run a popper station or plant a blind. Offer to run the diversion bird off the line if needed, handle ducks from the judges and help re-bird. All help is appreciated and doing the above will get you accustomed to the event and how it is ran. Then you can volunteer for more jobs!

Don't sit around and wait to be asked. If you see people moving or picking up, jump in and help.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"The solution is within the problem"

Help at set up day, if the club has one prior to the test. Its a good opportunity to learn about setting up a test as well as the mechanics to put one on

I manage our clubs trailer and Corry is right, help at the trailer early in the day and putting things away is important as well
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

The best place to work in my opinion is hanging birds for the judges....listen in on their conservations about dog work and just stuff in general..the best place to watch from for sure.....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

As someone who serves on a test committee I thank you for taking this type of initiative and asking ahead of time. Your new club is lucky to have you! As others have said, there is plenty to do, and never enough help. The test chairman will know where your help is needed the most and do let them know that you would like some time to watch and learn at the different stakes. Volunteer to marshal with an experienced member, you will learn a lot about the mechanics of a test and get to know others in the sport. Welcome to long days, hard work and little rest, but you will have so much more appreciation for other clubs when they do the same for you!
    Denise Jepson
    ​Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post
    As a newbie, I'm going to attend my clubs (recently joined) HRC event in September. I've never been to a HT or FT. I do want to do a little observing; however, I am more than willing to do my part in helping. I hear of "good" bird throwers and such. As a newbie who has never done any of this, what can I do (and not screw up) to help? Just trying to get an idea of what I can expect. I'm going to try and get with the VP of the club, who's also going to train my pup, and see if I can come watch him train between now and Sept to get some sort of idea. I'm also going to try and get to another club's HT to observe as well.
    I'm sure joe would welcome you anytime. By the way. I really like your pup. Fun little joker.
    If you wanna help for the test, come help me weed eat around the tech pond the day before. Lol
    But just talk to joe. He'll get you headed in the right direction.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

And the biggest thing of all leave a heat dog home. LOL

Nice gesture to help out by asking.

Whatever you do don't let them sucker u into marshalling! They got me on my first event and I wanted to hang myself and the pros wanted to hang me lol but I learned quick.