The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keystone XL Pipeline

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Ever been to the Sand Hills, Bill?
    It's an awful big area. I've driven through parts of it, but to say I've stomped around the dunes... No. But the same types of claims are made by the Anti development crowd every time there is a new project proposed. It's nothing new...

Besides, it's not a national preserve... There are towns, ranches, roads, pipelines etc... already there.
    Bill Davis

Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Thanks Sarge, I read that yesterday. Also read some on the little surrounding towns. Read some forums etc... Have had somewhat of an interest in that area for a long time as my dad played minor league baseball in North Platte, NE in '57 or '58. I was born in '58.

I just don't believe all development is the end of the world as we know it. Seems these days, anytime there is a proposal for something that can actually provide jobs, help the economy or lessen our dependence on those who hate us... Our own government and those who support it are the first to erect never ending roadblocks. At what point do the endless delays of the administration on a project like this end?
    Bill Davis

I find it interesting that we can NOT build the pipeline, as it may interfere with the natural state of things.

But I bet the same people opposed to the pipeline would slap up a few hundred wind turbines, no sweat!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Thanks Sarge, I read that yesterday. Also read some on the little surrounding towns. Read some forums etc... Have had somewhat of an interest in that area for a long time as my dad played minor league baseball in North Platte, NE in '57 or '58. I was born in '58.

I just don't believe all development is the end of the world as we know it. Seems these days, anytime there is a proposal for something that can actually provide jobs, help the economy or lessen our dependence on those who hate us... Our own government and those who support it are the first to erect never ending roadblocks. At what point do the endless delays of the administration on a project like this end?
    There were problems with the initial proposed route. There are several alternate routes being looked at.

It seems that there are two separate opposition viewpoints. One is routing. The other is an objection to oil produced from tar sands. They contend that tar sand oil is several times more polluting than petroleum produced by other means.

I predict an alternate route will be approved in the end and the pipeline will be built. The anti-tar sand oil people will not prevail. The resource is now too highly developed to shut down. The oil is going out now by rail which is probably at greater risk and expense than a pipeline.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 08-26-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

The oil is going out now by rail which is probably at greater risk and expense than a pipeline.
    And which RR is hauling the lions share of that oil? Who owns that RR? What Politician received major campaign contributions from that owner? Who benefits by the pipeline not being built?
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    And which RR is hauling the lions share of that oil? Who owns that RR? What Politician received major campaign contributions from that owner? Who benefits by the pipeline not being built?
    Oh Oh,,,PICK ME !

Do the intials start with B.H.?

B.H. also owns JUSTIN BOOT COMPANY, CORT FURNITURE RENTAL, ECT.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

There were problems with the initial proposed route. There are several alternate routes being looked at.
    My understanding is that an alternative route has been presented, and that route was already approved by both the state and the State Dept.

I've read just recently, that the new hangup requiring further investigation is about a conflict of interest of the company providing the information about the new route's impact. The word from the WH is that this new investigation is likely to delay the WH decision until "next year." (the following article from Townhall is dated 8/25/2013 ... just yesterday!)

Allegations that the State Department hired a contractor with a "conflict of interest" when approving they Keystone Pipeline have delayed progress on the project already, and now the State Department says that a review of the contractor's conflict of interest won't be completed until next year.
    http://townhall.com/tipsheet/kevingl...ision-n1672849

Mind you, this is a contractor that the State Department, itself, hired! One begins to wonder if there is anyone in the DOS who has a clue what they're doing?
    The Hill reports:
    It’s unclear whether State would need to wait for its Office of Inspector General to release that report before deciding whether to recommend approval of the Canada-to-Texas pipeline. State did not return a request for comment from The Hill.
    The news of a January release for the report raised the specter of another delay for Keystone, which is under review at State for a cross-border permit to complete the pipeline's northern leg.
    At issue is whether the contractor the department selected to perform a draft environmental review of Keystone had ties to pipeline builder TransCanada Corp.
    I has now been about two years since the last rejection at the WH level.

As we've discussed the environmental risks of extracting these fossil fuels, and extending our weaning from fossil fuels, if we want to look at this from a "liberal" point of view. I'd venture that the damage to environment will be less if the US/Canada develop these reserves, than what the ME and Russia would likely do. Then, too, we have seen that countries like the US & Canada are quick to share their economic wealth with other poorer countries in the form of food and medical aid, from both private sector and govt. All the billions that have gone to the ME have not been very impactful in changing the standard of living of the poor people there, while the elite sheiks live in unapologetic splendor. So, wouldn't the liberal view be that such billions in revenue would do more good in the hands of the US & Canada than it will do in the hands of those who collect it now? After all, there would be more wealth to "redistribute", wouldn't there? Why not feed the goose that lays the golden eggs?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Oh Oh,,,PICK ME !

Do the intials start with B.H.?

B.H. also owns JUSTIN BOOT COMPANY, CORT FURNITURE RENTAL, ECT.
    Bingo........Gold Star for you Raymond

Buffett becomes major campaign contributor -> BO kills the coal industry -> adds additional pressure on already struggling RR industry -> prices drop on RR stock -> 2009 BH purchases BNSF -> BO kills pipeline -> oil must be transported by RR -> RR stock prices rocket -> Buffett makes billions = more campaign contributions.

Gotta wonder......is Buffett a genius because he orchestrated this or a genius because he read the 'tea leaves' well before any one else.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I find it interesting that we can NOT build the pipeline, as it may interfere with the natural state of things.

But I bet the same people opposed to the pipeline would slap up a few hundred wind turbines, no sweat!!!!
    GE becomes major campaign contributor -> ..........yeah well...........

America will survive this administration....... I have my doubts we can survive the populace that put it into office.
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I never have been there but is the area that already has a bunch of natural gass pipelines running through it with no problems? Just asking.
    I have a pipeline map of those lines that lie over the Ogallala Acquifer. I use it in my discussions with lefty friends, If you begin at the NE corner of CO, go straight N to the SD border, you have completed one side of a square that is pipelineless. Go E an equal amount & you've done 2 sides. There is one on both sides of this square that appears to be local NG supply oriented.

When I 1st got out of school we used to do the drive to SD about 3 times a year. N on Hwy 83 through Valentine, the heart of the Sand Hills country. Over the years I have talked to folks who hunted the Sand Hills & have read numerous articles about hunting there. I would tend to agree with Sarge on this one, & Hoggatt verifies that, it is a pristine environment with more suitable routes. You do remember Hoggatt don't you, he's the banker with brains . He lives & works that country.

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    Bingo........Gold Star for you Raymond

Buffett becomes major campaign contributor -> BO kills the coal industry -> adds additional pressure on already struggling RR industry -> prices drop on RR stock -> 2009 BH purchases BNSF -> BO kills pipeline -> oil must be transported by RR -> RR stock prices rocket -> Buffett makes billions = more campaign contributions.

Gotta wonder......is Buffett a genius because he orchestrated this or a genius because he read the 'tea leaves' well before any one else.

GE becomes major campaign contributor -> ..........yeah well...........

America will survive this administration....... I have my doubts we can survive the populace that put it into office.
    Over the years Buffett"s troops & I seem to see the same stocks as winners, I have lost on a takeover as the tax code was used to his advantage. I was looking at BNSF when he took it over, felt it a little pricey. Creating a situation by fiat is beyond my control. As I've posted numerous times on these forums, Patrick Johndrow provided the best description of the little weasel.

So, what's the FB season look like, we have an upgraded stadium, will host Boise State this weekend. Sarkasian is in his 5th year, 7-6 is not going to provide him long term security.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!