The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collar Conditioning

Default Collar Conditioning

Put the E-collar on my 8 month old BLF yesterday. I started on the lowest setting (Sportdog 400) I had her on a lead and I started introducing her to the collar with Sit. I never really saw any response to the collar and I had it up to 3. Do I keep going higher to get a response? She is a pretty hard-headed dog and can take quite a bit of pressure so maybe I need a different collar? any suggestions help!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunssmoke3217 View Post
    Put the E-collar on my 8 month old BLF yesterday. I started on the lowest setting (Sportdog 400) I had her on a lead and I started introducing her to the collar with Sit. I never really saw any response to the collar and I had it up to 3. Do I keep going higher to get a response? She is a pretty hard-headed dog and can take quite a bit of pressure so maybe I need a different collar? any suggestions help!
    Might be a good idea to make sure the collar is even working- make sure it's "married" to the transmitter.

Check the contacts to make sure you don't need longer ones, or the collar is too loose.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

I checked it with the test light and it ignited. I reprogrammed it to the default settings because when i hit the tone button nothing happened. but now the tone works. when the tone didnt work the test lights still ignited on continuous and momentary nicks

I suggest you decide what core philosophy you understand an are comfortable with, find the program that agrees with that and study it before moving on. The e-collar is a fine tool, but it's a poor idea to experiment with it. My approach is to CC to specific commands after they are taught, and then formalized corporally first. I use continuous at first in most cases, starting at the lowest level my TT Pro 500 will deliver. But there is much more.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I suggest you decide what core philosophy you understand an are comfortable with, find the program that agrees with that and study it before moving on. The e-collar is a fine tool, but it's a poor idea to experiment with it. My approach is to CC to specific commands after they are taught, and then formalized corporally first. I use continuous at first in most cases, starting at the lowest level my TT Pro 500 will deliver. But there is much more.

Evan
    She knows all the obedience commands. They have been taught on lead. She knows sit, heel, and here. They arent completely polished. she knows them, but at times avoids commands. Is it bad to use e collar at this point? or can I polish her knowledge with the collar?

It is always "bad" to use an e collar without understanding. Choose your teacher, Lardy, Graham, Hillman. . . whoever. But you need to be taught about its use before you put it back on the dog. I think all of them advise letting the dog wear the collar without turning it on for a good while so that it is just part of the training gear. All that said, you need to place the contacts against your own skin to test it. You need to KNOW what the dog feels, not trust lights or tones.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Want to echo what others have said.
    This ain't how you ideally do it-

Put the E-collar on my 8 month old BLF yesterday. I started on the lowest setting (Sportdog 400)
    Most folks let the pup wear the collar for a while prior to even using it.
    Secondly-
    As mentioned you just don't start using collar pressure to re-enforce commands that the pup doesn't understand.

Good idea too, to re-enforce known commands in other ways as well beforehand.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    It is always "bad" to use an e collar without understanding. Choose your teacher, Lardy, Graham, Hillman. . . whoever. But you need to be taught about its use before you put it back on the dog. I think all of them advise letting the dog wear the collar without turning it on for a good while so that it is just part of the training gear. All that said, you need to place the contacts against your own skin to test it. You need to KNOW what the dog feels, not trust lights or tones.
    That's exactly right. We shape the character of each command when we begin formal Basics through a process of formalization. That is done not only with tools like the heeling stick, but by applying pressure while requiring specifics; sitting instantly, sitting squarely, and remaining in a sitting position until released or commanded to do something else. That is true of all fundamental commands. All of that should be sharp before you begin using the e-collar. This is why you commonly see the advice to follow a proven program and/or to work with a pro. Where do you live?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I never really saw any response to the collar
    This is the crux of the issue. You never saw a response. What response did you expect? What did you observe? It takes a trained eye to read the dog and see a response, do you know what to look for? The response is there, can you read it? Every dog is different, how they respond is different, what they show is different. You could very easily be missing signs hoping for a "reaction" and keep turning it up waiting for what you expect vs what the dog is showing. Programs, video's, internet advice, books etc are fine for high level direction, but until you get someone with experience watching, reading your dog you very well could be missing behaviors to the stimulation.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
    Want to echo what others have said.
    This ain't how you ideally do it-

Most folks let the pup wear the collar for a while prior to even using it.
    Secondly-
    As mentioned you just don't start using collar pressure to re-enforce commands that the pup doesn't understand.

Good idea too, to re-enforce known commands in other ways as well beforehand.
    I left some information out. She has been wearing collar since she has been 5 months old. just not turned on. I taught her commands and now im conditioning with the collar with commands she already knows. I didnt slap it on her and started zapping her to see what she would do. Simply just conditioning her to the collar now. But the issue that arrived was that she didnt respond with a flinch or a ear twitch to the collar at all on level 3. Do i crank it up is my question