The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collar Conditioning

[QUOTE=Evan;1131476]That's exactly right. We shape the character of each command when we begin formal Basics through a process of formalization. That is done not only with tools like the heeling stick, but by applying pressure while requiring specifics; sitting instantly, sitting squarely, and remaining in a sitting position until released or commanded to do something else. That is true of all fundamental commands. All of that should be sharp before you begin using the e-collar. This is why you commonly see the advice to follow a proven program and/or to work with a pro. Where do you live?

Evan[/Q

Thanks for the advice. I live in minnesota

An example. In Lardy's cc DVD the dog didn't show any vocal or body contortions. So Mike wondered if the dog was receiving the burns. Then he noticed the dog lagging while walking at heel. This was his indication that the dog was feeling it. He was at a pretty high level, a 5 high or medium on a TT ecollar. Even at this level the dog was not very through
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 07-30-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Before you turn up the dial, DO TRY IT OUT ON YOURSELF!!!! Even at a low level, you can at least be sure its working properly before cranking it up. I ran it up as high as I could stand it just so I knew what was happening on the other end of that transmitter. Also, you say you have done collar conditioning. Did you have a hands on adviser, or are you using DVD's? Answer this, and I imagine you will get more helpful answers from those that know.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Before you turn up the dial, DO TRY IT OUT ON YOURSELF!!!! Even at a low level, you can at least be sure its working properly before cranking it up. I ran it up as high as I could stand it just so I knew what was happening on the other end of that transmitter. Also, you say you have done collar conditioning. Did you have a hands on adviser, or are you using DVD's? Answer this, and I imagine you will get more helpful answers from those that know.

Ok sounds good! haha I never thought I would put it on myself, but Ill give it a go!

As far as collar conditioning this is how it has played out. Since she was a puppy I have worked on the basic commands. Sit, Heel, Here. I evolved into more formal training with those commands with a heeling stick etc. She knows what she is SUPPOSED to do when I command her. Ever since she was 4-5 months old I have had the collar on her for any training that has been done. Now according to DVDS since she knows the commands and she does them on command its time to turn the collar on and condition her to the collar. Correct me if I am wrong. I have had No hands on advisor with e collar training. Followed program and studied a program. I am new to the e collar and have never trained a dog with one. So if i am missing an important step please correct me!

I agree.Try the collar on yourself first so You Completely understand what Your dog feels.

Is this how you test on yourself?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFIc-IgUIs

Looks like those guys are pretty tuned up. probably didnt even have an effecet on them

Nah, that's me behind the camera getting all the new guys to try it! (Notice I got 'em liquored up first, see the shelf behind him?) Seriously, i just hold the receiver in my palm, contacts against skin. Then if the zap is hurtful, my hand automatically releases and it drops. The highest I could ever manage was a middle 4. No permanent damage if you disregard the occasional twitches
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Before you turn up the dial, DO TRY IT OUT ON YOURSELF!!!!
    I don't know why. It's not as if I'm reading myself to see what the affect is. I'm reading it on the dog and we will be different in our reactions.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

It is always "bad" to use an e collar without understanding. Choose your teacher, Lardy, Graham, Hillman. . . whoever. But you need to be taught about its use before you put it back on the dog. I think all of them advise letting the dog wear the collar without turning it on for a good while so that it is just part of the training gear. All that said, you need to place the contacts against your own skin to test it. You need to KNOW what the dog feels, not trust lights or tones.
    I agree with this! If your are not sure of the response expected try it on yourself at certain levels. You don't teach with the collar. As other have suggested follow a program or get some experienced assistance. Good luck!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray