The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collar Conditioning

This is way harder than it has to be and a little painful to read. If you don't see a reaction it may not be there or you may not know what you are looking for. For the sake of you and your dog find someone that does, please.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    This is way harder than it has to be and a little painful to read. If you don't see a reaction it may not be there or you may not know what you are looking for. For the sake of you and your dog find someone that does, please.
    Yea cause I'm sure you have never had questions about training your dogs. I use this site for information and to learn and grow as a trainer. If I had the funds to seek out a professional trainer what would I need this site for? Simply trying to learn the ropes

Quote Originally Posted by Gunssmoke3217 View Post
    Yea cause I'm sure you have never had questions about training your dogs. I use this site for information and to learn and grow as a trainer. If I had the funds to seek out a professional trainer what would I need this site for? Simply trying to learn the ropes
    Ok cowboy, turn that collar up and get to training.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

It appears you've gotten enough good advice to begin sorting the wheat from the chaff. At this point I think you should be deciding on a sound program and moving on. Discussion forums can be helpful, but as you can see they can also become a vehicle of diminishing returns. Learn, focus, and move forward. Good luck.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

It just dawned on me that u are using a Sport Dog ecollar. It may well be the problem. Look under Product Review. The reviews are not good. I would suggest a Tritronics ecollar. Although some like Dogstra
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

You live in MN, swing a stick and hit a pro, in the summer anyway. I would really, really encourage you to try to connect with one (a good one, with references), pay for a private lesson, you don't have to send off your dog, you can enjoy learning to train, but, cannot stress enough, what you will learn hands on from a good trainer in person, the great return on such an investment. Truly, priceless. FF, CC, the most basic foundations for our dogs, the most important time to learn how to read, when and how to progress, correct and be fair, not something many can finesse by watching a DVD or reading a book, which are great for education, but can't replace hands on experience. Good luck, keep an open mind and not a chip on your shoulder, people mostly want to be sure the dogs are being trained fairly, that's all.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I think if you read smartworks and forgive me Evan, if I'm wrong, but it more or less says, start low and keep increasing until you read a change in your dog's behavior.

That said and if everything is functioning correctly, including your assessment of "no reaction", the answer is a simple YES.
    Darrin Greene

Given the collar being used I am concerned about the "everything functioning correctly". Do u know anyone with a Tritronics or Dogstra ecollar?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I think if you read smartworks and forgive me Evan, if I'm wrong, but it more or less says, start low and keep increasing until you read a change in your dog's behavior.

That said and if everything is functioning correctly, including your assessment of "no reaction", the answer is a simple YES.
    You've pretty much got it, Darrin. Of course the CC process takes a bit more explaining, but that principle is correct.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

thanks for all the information! I had it on her last night while training and i dont think I had it on her properly before. I notice some eye twitches and head movements on the stimulations. I turned it down one level once i saw that and she responded well. She did want to turn her head back at times to cause she didnt really know what that feeling was but she follwed through on commands.