The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another well written commentary about our sad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I do not want to see Obamacare go, until there is a better system in the works. Don't repeal down Obamacare replace it.
    I understand why it seems appealing as it is supposed to help the less fortunate get insurance, control insurance costs, etc. I am not convinced it is going to do either of those things. The penalties for not buying the lowest cost insurances by those under 30 is much less than the 'tax' for not buying insurance. The Bman and the CBO keep telling us if healthy people don't contribute the plan fails. Sounds to me like a house of cards. People didn't even read the bill then voted to pass it. Good grief! At the end of the day while it may seem better than what we currently have it actually be worse and even cause fiscal problems for the country.

A few weeks ago the Bman decided to delay the start of some the regulations. I am a little rusty on my government procedures but I can't remember any president having the ability to delay the start of something passed through legislation. How does that work?
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

I do not want to see Obamacare go, until there is a better system in the works. Don't repeal down Obamacare replace it.
    Henlee, I agree with GaryJ, that Obamacare will not improve our situation.

I bookmarked this article because it compresses some of the egregious failures that are beginning to prove out with Obamacare.
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/..._or_never.html

The most notable is the pre-existing condition provision. This aspect of the law was probably the most popular with everyone who supported O-care. Even people who don't like the law overall, could respect trying to provide care for those with pre-existing conditions. The problem is that the cost is already running 2.5X projections, while the enrollment has been 1/3 of projected! So ... it's actually running about 7.5X as much $ as projected!
    So in 2013, HHS cut off coverage. For the uninitiated, that means ObamaCare is denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.
    $5 billion in Federal funds have been swallowed up, and only 1/3 of the problem has been solved.

Possibly worst of all ...
    But, at the end of the day, at least everyone will have health insurance, right? Actually, the Congressional Budget Office projects that even after 10 years of ObamaCare, 31 million Americans will still be uninsured.
    My recollection is that the number of uninsured under the present system is about the same as will be uninsured when O-care is fully implemented! So, in the end, nothing has been solved. It will be different individuals who will be uninsured, but the net result will be that more of the uninsured will be in the broad band of the middle class ... those earning just too much to get subsidies; those who are part-time workers and can't afford even the subsidized premiums (and the ranks of part-time employees is growing by leaps and bounds as a result of the law).

These were the two parts of the law that made most people think the was a good thing ... yet, those are the two parts of the law that are already showing failure. We are back to square one ... except for the tremendous amount of $ wasted.

And, along with this, Medicaid reimbursements are to be reduced, thus encouraging more doctors & hospitals to reject new Medicaid patients. So, even the most vulnerable in our society will have decreased access to medical care. If Medicare was already on the way to bankruptcy, removing $500 billion from the funding can't be helpful. And the baby boom generation is just now moving into Medicare.

The system we have had has had flaws, but it would seem much more reasonable to direct efforts at correcting the problems while leaving the good parts intact.

Let us not forget the #s of waivers issued (including members of Congress), who suffer none of the pain of "the masses". Those unions who did not have the foresight to line up their waivers are finally beginning to understand how this will impact union workers as well. I don't think that a lot of the people who run the unions are as much concerned with their workers' welfare as they are that this will diminish the power of their unions (and, thus, their own personal power).

I truly believe that Max Baucus, who has been called "the architect" of O-care, finally saw the handwriting on the wall as the law began to unfold. He retired rather than have to face voters in an election. How many Congress-critters actually retire if they think they can win another election?

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Great another attempt at repealing Obamacare. This will make what number 36? I won't say that those who keep voting for this are quitters, but I won't call them winners either. To change subject though, there was some huge problems with the healthcare system prior to the passage of Obamacare. What would you all say is the solution to any of the problems involving healthcare and why didn't republicans propose any of these fixes prior to the bill that was passed.
    This OBUMMA CARE sucks!!! I;m already being told that my rates are going thru the roof. Why nwould I want that BS CRAP???? IT IS A TAX!!! I'm sick of paying for leaches.. OPTING to bail from my private insurance and pay the fine.. AS a CPA it is in my best interest!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

So are you effected by this insane TAX or not? As DH and I are self employed and have private insurance we have already been told that our rates will go thru the roof!! NO longer will we get credit for being healthy per BUMACE and no longer can we keep a policy that we like. THAT ASSHOLE thinks we should be happy to pay more per month. SCREW HIM. The fine looks better everyday since now I can ditch my insurance and pick it up if anything major happens. BY the way we both happen to be CPA's.

The fine looks better everyday since now I can ditch my insurance and pick it up if anything major happens. BY the way we both happen to be CPA's.
    Maybe not ... remember the fund for pre-existing condition coverage is tapped out.

So in 2013, HHS cut off coverage. For the uninitiated, that means ObamaCare is denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.
    So ... those people who think that they will be able to do what you propose may not be able to!

I don't know how O-care handles this either ... but with Medicare prescription coverage, you get penalized $X/mo FOREVER if you delay entering the program in the first year eligible. This may also be true if you fail to sign up for Part B coverage if you don't sign up in the first year you are eligible. I don't know about the Part B because I DID sign up. I was late on deciding on Part D, so had to wait till the next year.

So, if you delay signing up in the first year the law applies, you may also be assessed a "penalty" of some sort in your premium by failing to sign up right away.

I guess it depends on what rule Sebelius decides to write? As we have found, there are many aspects to this law that are being made up as they go along Who says, "You can't make this stuff up"? If you are Seblius, you absolutely CAN.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Maybe not ... remember the fund for pre-existing condition coverage is tapped out.

So ... those people who think that they will be able to do what you propose may not be able to!

I don't know how O-care handles this either ... but with Medicare prescription coverage, you get penalized $X/mo FOREVER if you delay entering the program in the first year eligible. This may also be true if you fail to sign up for Part B coverage if you don't sign up in the first year you are eligible. I don't know about the Part B because I DID sign up. I was late on deciding on Part D, so had to wait till the next year.

So, if you delay signing up in the first year the law applies, you may also be assessed a "penalty" of some sort in your premium by failing to sign up right away.

I guess it depends on what rule Sebelius decides to write? As we have found, there are many aspects to this law that are being made up as they go along Who says, "You can't make this stuff up"? If you are Seblius, you absolutely CAN.
    All I know is that I will be damned if I'm paying double for less because of KING DICKFACE>. We are better off paying everything out of pocket. I'm not paying more for THIS CRAP than ny mortgage. MAY HE ROT IN HELL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    So are you effected by this insane TAX or not? As DH and I are self employed and have private insurance we have already been told that our rates will go thru the roof!! NO longer will we get credit for being healthy per BUMACE and no longer can we keep a policy that we like. THAT ASSHOLE thinks we should be happy to pay more per month. SCREW HIM. The fine looks better everyday since now I can ditch my insurance and pick it up if anything major happens. BY the way we both happen to be CPA's.
    The bar for CPA's must not be set very high then
    You seem to hate everything about this country. If that is so why don't you head back to the other side of the pond, so you can spew your endless hate to them.

Your act has gotten a little old

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    The bar for CPA's must not be set very high then
    You seem to hate everything about this country. If that is so why don't you head back to the other side of the pond, so you can spew your endless hate to them.

Your act has gotten a little old
    Oh I will admit that the CPA pass bar is lower in some states than others. BUT both DH and I passed in a high pass state (at least back then). In the state I passed in you were required to pass all four parts at the same time.
    I hate paying for leaches and fully admit that.
    That has nothing to do with understanding the tax law. I need to know the law and as such it is better for us to just pay the darn penalty and DROP our coverage that is about to double.
    OH yeah I do hate that commie bastard that ignores the constitution!

Too bad nobody will grow a set and charge him!

I don't think it is going to go how you think. But I am not even defending that point. It may be a step forward or it may be a step back, but at least "they" are doing something. I do not want the status quo back, If Obama care falls flat on its face at least then we will be stuck fixing it and if it works then great. I think there will be more harm in doing nothing. I am very open to new ideas so if you got any share them.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

Henlee, the problem is that this is an "entitlement" law. Once it's fully in place, Congress is not permitted to repeal it!! In that regard, it is like SS and Medicare. I was stunned when I heard that, but one can see what would happen if SS or Medicare were defunded tomorrow. It would wreak havoc on millions of people.

You may remember the quoe of LBJ when he signed Medicare (paraphrasing), "If people knew what this is going to cost, they'd never let us do this." They knew even then that the cost was going to skyrocket after it was fully in place. That has come true, and now endangers that program as they run out of funds ... unless they raise taxes in some way.

We saw last election how difficult ANY discussion of making ANY change to SS ... even though it would be phased in by protecting individuals 55+.

Now, these two programs only affect the elderly.

O-care will affect everybody else! What are the chances of making effective changes once it is in place. For example, those people w/pre-existing conditions who did get to enroll (before funding ran out), could be left stranded, or perhaps with unaffordable costs, if O-care is changed. Can you imagine the screaming from the Ds if anyone tries to "fix" it? We need only to look at the farm subsidy programs to see how difficult it is to remove programs that create a dependency on govt. So we will add another broken program to the mix ... except this one dwarfs any other entitlement program.

It is absolutely disgusting that Congress has exempted itself AND it's staff from O-care! If it's too expensive for people who earn $174,000 AND have incredible perks to boot! Those staff members who had lower incomes would have had subsidies in the exchanges ... but now they will get a 75% "subsidy" from taxpayers and have NO qualification to satisfy vis a vis their income. Some of those people would likely not qualify for subsidies via exchanges due to their income being too high. This will cost taxpayers 75% of premiums from $5000 to $11,000 per worker; and there are 30,000 of these people on the Beltway. They will receive coverage way above the bare-bones O-care requirements as well. Check my math, but I came up with about $170 million. Of course, that's before the 200,000 IRS workers who want an exemption from O-care as well.

By the time we're through the only people forced into O-care will be parts of the private sector that weren't sharp enough to get their waivers, and the employees of unions who didn't get their waivers, and the employees left adrift from the bankrupt cities. The program will NOT be universal after all.

And even when it is universal, only the wealthy can afford prompt care ... as with the Canadian minister who went to FL (where he had a condo) to have his heart surgery procedure, and paid for it in FL, rather than wait for the procedure in Canada. (and the procedure available in FL was less invasive than what he would have received in Canada). The UK system is imploding, and other Euro systems are having troubles as well. For the record, Mexico offers universal health care ... except for the fact that a lot of its citizens can't afford to take advantage of it, so they come to the US just to find a low-skilled job.

Let us also remember that most countries with these programs are much smaller in population than the US (check out the population of Canada or the UK) ... and very few of them have the global responsibilities of the US in their budgets either.

Maybe the US could do a better job of subsidizing the health care of its most vulnerable? Maybe we could start cutting some of the aid we give to the countries who hate us, and earmark those savings specifically for subsidizing US citizens with pre-existing condtions?

One thing that has become very clear in recent months is that our Fed govt is WAY too large. Fed employees get paid VERY well in both wages and benefits, and it would appear that many of them are over-compensated based on their ability to do their jobs.There is SO much waste (then fraud) in SO many govt programs and agencies, that what we can see readily is likely just the tip of the iceberg.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com