The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another well written commentary about our sad situation.

Perhaps you all missed this article and many others about the fact that insurance rates on the private insurance exchanges are coming in lower than expected.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...state/2590723/

I saw an article similar to that one ... but there was some cherry-picking done on that article.

Not to mention some hedging of bets in this article as well:
    "There is tremendous existing variation within the rates in the states now," said Sherry Glied, professor of health policy and economics at Columbia University and former assistant secretary for planning and evaluation at the Department of Health and Human Services. "It's hard to compare the old rates to the new."
    We DO know for a fact that the pre-existing condition program is coming in 2.5X the anticipated cost for 1/3 the anticipated participants. That would work out to 7.5X if the full numbers enrolled?

With the employer mandate being delayed a year, the anticipated negative impact is anticipated at several billion (I think I saw around $12 billion mentioned in more than one report). That could be compounded by the unknown impact of not requiring individuals to validate their qualifications for exchanges (because they have no way to do so!)

If we look at the fact that IRS has sent out millions of refunds to the same address, among many other of its lapses, can we really believe that the govt can run this program? We know of hundreds of millions of dollars lost to fraud in Medicare. It has been documented of millions of SS payments going to dead people. These other agencies have had MANY years to perfect their systems, and they have failed to do so. I have little, or no, faith that the govt will be able to run this mammouth program any better than they run the other ones. MA also reported millions lost in payments made to dead people.

With all the money spent, govt has failed to develop technology that is effective for its programs. New Gingrich was right about one thing ... if we gave over Medicare to be administered by Am Ex, we'd probably see great savings. The private sector has motivations to improve their operations, while govt just asks the taxpayers for more $.

And Am Ex (& other credit card companies) can turn a profit even when they "forgive" the fraudulent use of cards by thieves. In fact this happened to me some years ago when they still used carbon copies. The card company noticed unusual use, started declining the card #, and called me ... and "forgave" the $1000 that had been charged fraudulently. This took place in a matter of a few days. It seems that the IRS should be able to afford software that would prevent tens of millions of refunds going to the same address?

I admire your trust in the govt, Henry. I just have lost most of that myself.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Perhaps you all missed this article and many others about the fact that insurance rates on the private insurance exchanges are coming in lower than expected.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...state/2590723/
    There is a lot of conflicting information because this is not a one size fits all. For example minimum insurance plan under Obamcare is not the same as the minimum available today. Apples and Oranges.

Here is an article that says the cost is going up.
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...s-credibi.aspx
    What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Well then I guess there is not a lot of time to implement a new program, those interested need to get moving. I have been watching the health care problem grow since 1992. There were only two serious attempts to do anything since that time. There are no other ideas out there, so the choice is to do this or do nothing. I am not satisfied with nothing.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    Well then I guess there is not a lot of time to implement a new program, those interested need to get moving. I have been watching the health care problem grow since 1992. There were only two serious attempts to do anything since that time. There are no other ideas out there, so the choice is to do this or do nothing. I am not satisfied with nothing.
    In dog training if you aren't sure what to do to correct a problem, you could be better off doing nothing ... rather than making your problem worse.

I have a gripe with Congress ... they are removed from the real world and make laws about things about which they know nothing! The discussions on on gun control were a very good example ... some of the people making the laws had no understanding of the difference between an AR-15 and AK-47. They only knew how to say "assault rifle".

Ben Carson has one idea. Might not be perfect, but at least health care IS something HE knows something about! So, he's better qualified to discuss it than the people who wrote the O-care law.

Why did they not bring together the ideas from the medical community and insurance companies? Both of those entities might have also brought up the topic of personal injury litigation, which was left untouched by the law.

IBM offered to give the govt software to reduce Medicare fraught ... FREE! ... and it was rejected.

Perhaps the only reason we haven't had more ideas to work with is because the people whom we elected are jerks? However, that is not a reason to change from one bad idea to an even worse idea. Why tear apart a system providing 150 million people with health care to correct something for 30 million? Not to mention, that they'll still have 30 million uninsured when they're through "fixing" things.

There are absolutely some good things about our current system. Why would some of the richest people in the entire world come to the US for health care? They could go anywhere in the world and pay cash ... so why come to the US?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

You will get no argument from me on congress being clueless. However, if repealed do you honestly believe that any healthcare reform laws would be passed?

I looked for speeches from Ben Carson, the best I found was in regards to lifelong health savings accounts, is that what you are referring to? I will look some more, but there is more video than articles and that takes more time.

Tort reform was likely to be a poison pill to any law, Since the passage of Obamcare 23 states have passed tort reform laws. There will be good data in the next few years in which to pass more laws if they work. I am not opposed to tort reform, but I do not believe that it will have a major effect on controlling costs. Some tort reform is ethical and ought to be passed.

IBM did make an offer for free software, however that did not include the hardware or the training to go along with the program. The costs would have been in the billions and would effectively been a no-bid contract for IBM. It wasn't a gift, it was a sales pitch.

I am not opposed to scrapping Obamacare, but only to be replaced with something. I do not believe for a second any meaningful reform will happen upon repeal or something would have been passed under Bush.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I'll take the do nothing option!! Then I could actually keep my current policy and not spend a ton more for king idiots garbage!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Henlee, you might want to read some of Carson's books. His last one, "America The Beautiful" is available at Amazon in paperback for about $10.

I would be in favor of approaching health reform in bits and pieces. The most important thing to many people is the issue of pre-existing conditions. The most info on that is probably available from the insurance companies ... who could best explain the facts actuarily that drive the costs of those conditions.

It used to be that people with pre-existing conditions would be covered after an prescribed period of being a policyholder. Like a year or two. Maybe Mike can update us on that, since that is his line of work. If there has been a change in that, then it may help us understand what needs to be done to address that problem. I wonder what Medicaid does about pre-existing conditions?

Tort reform can certainly be addressed. That would apply to more than just medical care! I was involved in a lawsuit in real estate that was totally without merit. The attorney who brought the suit had NO penalty at all. In fact, he collected over $25K in legal fees from his client. I think that any tort reform should penalize the attorneys who do that kind of stuff. It would save tens of millions in many industries. In that case, legal fees from all the attorneys ended up being close to $100K! Guess what ... I have errors & omissions insurance, with a $5000 deductible. Our rates for that insurance also continue to increase each year due to frivolous suits like that one.

The original method of health care was that people pretty much paid for their primary care and minor bills. Insurance was for major stuff. Somewhere along the line everyone began to figure they should never have to pay anything out-of-pocket for their own health care ... from infant vaccinations to their birth control pills. That changed the whole scenario.

Personally, I think that the lack of health care reform is due to our dysfunctional legislatures and the overwhelming power of special interest groups. Govt has grown to a point where it thinks it has to have all the answers of what's best for everyone ... one size fits all.

Then, too, the govt has proven itself untrustworthy. The Medicare and SS systems would not be in such trouble if the govt had not borrowed from the "trust funds" to finance programs they thought would be for the "general good."

Probably the general failing of O-care is that it tries to pay for every little thing in health care, and then there is not enough money left to pay for the catastrophic stuff ... the kind of stuff that kills people, not 10 years from now, but today!. So, they find that they have to discard replacing a hip for a 70-yr-old or an infant with a deadly disease, in order to pay for routine stuff for many others.

I surely don't have all the answers, but still feel that a bad idea can end up being far worse than no idea at all.

This is an interesting article
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...not_cruel.html
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com