The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Thank you Swift River, Burns/Attar Seminar

Default Thank you Swift River, Burns/Attar Seminar

Swift River hosted a seminar with Pat Burns and Andy Attar this past week end. I went as an auditor.

What a fantastic three days!!

I donít think I have ever seen two people communicate to each other as they do. They are amazing.

I learnt so much just watching and asking questions. We had a wonderful crowd of people. The working dogs were amazing to watch.

A big Thank you to Buck and Tara for giving me the opportunity to attend such a wonderful seminar.

Pattie
    Effective gun control is hitting what you aim at!

Couldn't agree more. Echoing everything Pattie said. I was fortunate to be there as a handler with my young dog, and wow, did ww learn a lot.

What was the structure of the seminar? What did you learn?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Hi Ted,

When you signed up there was a question on the form asking what topics we would like to see covered.

I don’t think there was a hard written outline for the week end. There were about 30 of us at the workshop I think 11 dogs working.

Being someone who has their first master dog (in training) my biggest take away from this workshop was just how important the basics are. I know I put a few holes in that.

If they come back this way again maybe I will be brave enough to fill out that handler section of the form.

Pattie
    Effective gun control is hitting what you aim at!

I would also like to Thank Buck and Tara for hosting a GREAT Seminar with Andy and Pat ....... They did a FANTASTIC job organizing and thinking about everything before we needed it..... Grounds were SPECTACULAR ....

I had a working spot and although Jade didn't do as good as I know she can do, I learned alot about how important balancing Drill work with Field work...... I know I don't do enough drill work .....and the Drills we were shown were FUN to do .... I also learned that canine athletes also need a good warm-up and cool-down period... Most of us amatuers don't think about how important that is.....

Meet some GREAT new folk and saw some really good dog work and dog training.

I'd also like to Thank Lisa for ALL the GREAT cooking and food she had for all of us......

I would definately go again.......

Thanks Pat, Andy, Buck, Tara and Lisa for a GREAT weekend......
    Karen & Dick Kennedy

Home of:
    Pleasant Pine's Making A Mark, UD,RA,SH,WCX,Can CD,Can WC,CC,CGC
    Pleasant Pine's A Bit of Mischief, CDX MH,WCX,Can WC,CC,CGC
    Wilmark's Jus 1 Mor at Pleasant Pine, SH,RA,WCX,CC,CGC
    Pleasant Pine's Hidden Treasure, CDX,MH,WCX,CC,CGC
    Cedarwood's Always Playing at Pleasant Pine, JH
    Pleasant Pine's Returned To Sender, CC

Avatar Picture - Pleasant Pine's Hidden Treasure,CDX,MH,WCX,CC,CGC
    taken by Marsha Wilcox Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    What was the structure of the seminar? What did you learn?
    Hi Ted,

The structure was not unlike the typical Lardy Advanced Trainer workshops. Over the course of three days, we did some big land and water marking setups, as well a challenging land and water blinds. Based on level of dogs, they ran them as singles or multiples, with or without hidden guns, etc. As usual, you quickly see holes in some dogs' basic or transition training, so we spend a couple of mornings going back to the fundamentals with those dogs including force to pile, into the water, Dennis Voigt's swim-by tune-up drill, no no drill etc.

Lessons learned: Every time I go to one of those work shops with top trainers, I am reminded of the importance of what Andy called "the business end": the mat and what you and your dog do there (hopefully together as a team) to shape the outcome of your efforts to bring the chicken home. The things you need to do to help your dog be successful, from the moment you walk to the mat up to the last send.

To steal from Dave Rorem, there is a science part to handling, but also art, and I'm also always fascinated how much I keep learning at those workshop about that aspect. How to read your dog, when to throw the science out of the window and give the cast the dog *needs*, not what the text book says. When to use attrition, when to use force.

Along those lines, the advantage of two trainers is that you can listen to their discussions, and sure enough, there are many situations where they had a bit of a difference in opinion about what was going on and argued over the right way to fix a problem or when to handle. While most of the time they had very similar views, at times you could get a sense for some differences in their training approach. Having the opportunity to reflect on those conversations really helps to appreciate that there is often not a single correct way but if you understand the range of options, can get in your dog's mind, and correctly "diagnose" the problem, you'll find a path toward fixing (or at last improving) the problem your working on. A few years ago I was observer at a Lardy/Burns/D. Voigt/R. Voigt workshop, and what I probably liked most about it was that each day they teamed two of the instructors up in different combinations, so I had a chance to pick up a lot of nuances as they discussed their respective read of a situation and how to deal with it. The same was true at this workshop.

what were the skill levels of the dogs? Handlers?

example of where Andy and Pat disagreed?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Pattie, Karen and Rainer,

It was great meeting and talking with you. I concur, it was a great 3 days. Pat and Andy were outstanding coaches, and set up top notch tests. The grounds were very challenging. A huge thank you to Buck and Tara of Swift River Retrievers!
    "The Bluebills Died at Dawn", thank you Gordon MacQuarrie.

I like my dogs black, wet and with a dead duck in their mouth!