RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Drought continues

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  txrancher 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
And we would gladly take it, Karen! We have had no significant rain here since June, 2012, and my pond s just about as dry now as it was when the drought of 2011 broke. Ugh....no relief in sight. Just glad we put new water lines to our cattle trough to keep the cattle watered. Worried about wild fires again, as one broke out near Plantersville a couple of days ago.

#4 ·
Here in northern NM we got a brief respite from the "big dry". We had scattered showers each day for almost 3 weeks. It was enough to lift the fire restrictions, but not even close to normal. Hope the monsoon season is just beginning. Good luck to you Texans. Life ain't fair, every where else is mildewing!

#12 ·
Three inches!!! Wow!!! Don't think we've seen that much in a month since October of 2011 (or was it 2010?). Prickly pear is wilted and dying around here. Smart ranchers sold off their herds a year ago. Most of the grain around here has already been zeroed out, and the cotton didn't even come up (two years in a row for both of those). There will be no quail harvest this year (I believe that at the last Quail Coalition meeting one of the managers of one of the bigger leases (around 30,000 ac I think) said that LAST year they harvested 86 birds and that may have been too many). This spring during the photo contest I had to run water lines to my photosites to water the grass in the background so that there would be some color besides brown; I saw no rodents, and very few invertebrates. It is just grim here. Going to be 102 with clear blue skies today (has been about that for around 10 days in a row) and the forecast is for more of the same. We really need a hurricane. Bon is right, if it does rain, it'll screw up dove season.

#9 ·
anyone who has ever lived in the state of Texas knows that its just a matter of time till your TANK (not calling them ponds) fills up or dries up, its a never ending cycle, and you are but a couple of days of rain from your tanks filling up...I can almost predict with a certainty that Texas will get enough rain in August just before the dove opener to scatter the birds and fill up every single pot hole, s*** hole, and watering hole..but not quite enough water to make the duck hunters of the state happy enough or the rice farmers in the south happy so they can flood their fields

#13 ·
Most city people have no idea how bad this could get, a growing population and reservoirs at 25% to 75% of normal with our driest months ahead. With one or more dry years ahead the Texas Legislature will have much more serious issues to deal with than their current focus on women's access to health care. The rice industry is virtually dead and cow calf operations are in jeopardy with the dairy industry not far behind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.