The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Lardy... surely you jest!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Mine has gotten into a habit of sneeking in bed with me after I go to sleep.
    Wifey couldn't resist taking some pics when she came to bed.
    I think it makes the bond better.
    So dang funny!

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    One thing I always said was that I loved dogs but I never wanted one in the bed with me. After 4 solid hours of squalling his first night home, my boy curled nicely around the top of my head and went right to sleep.
    This actually made me snort and laugh. I can imagine a big tuff guy on the outside, softee on inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    In a crate next to my bed.
    That's what I do

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    That's what I do

/Paul
    me too!

but i am disappointed in you /paul. when i looked thrrough this thread and saw you had posted, i was sure you would have said something like, "sleep with a dog? what do you think i am, an sec football player or something?" and then i was certain you would have posted a pic of those oregon girls?
    john mccallie

first couple nights i subscribed to the crate thing. thought it might be dangerous for him in bed and possibly falling off. 3 nights of getting up at 2 and 4 am to whining and rattling the cage in the dark to take him outside and waking the wife. so 4th night let him sleep with us went to bed at 11 and at 7 he hadnt moved an inch. slept the whole night without a potty break. granted every night wasnt like that (never had an accident in the bed though). bonding and just letting him get comfortable in his surroundings was biggest reason id be in favor of it. after 2 weeks to a month start transitioning back to the kennel or not up to you.

from about 12 weeks old to when mine turned 1 he was in the kennel at night then our baby came and i never knew which room i was sleeping in so he transitioned to which ever bed i was in. now at 1030 he heads to the bedroom as if to say its past our bedtime lets go.

when your pup gets bigger u can save money on the heating bill. them fellas will keep u toasty. on the other hand when its dead hot part of summer he's ur worst enemy. if the lights were on when i kick him out id prolly see the saddest puppy dog face ever

and like someone else said if lardy ever had a pup i bet he would do it but seeing as his dogs are all clients dogs and dont come to him till at least 6 months old i doubt he has. although there was also an article where the editor of retriever news came to lardy's house and he heard mike yelling at Lottie cause she was blocking the door. i guess u have to be an NFC before u can sleep in the Lardy house!

My dogs are not allowed in the bed. But when I bring an 8 wk old puppy home I put him in the bed. By doing thiis I accomplish two things: 1 no noise at night; 2 house breaking is faster. They are infants and cannot hold. When they start moving I immediately take them out on the porch. Puppies eat sleep and poop. Once again as soon as I feel them moving in the bed next to me out they go. I do this for about two weeks and then out of the bed. The transition no problem and they never go back in the bed and housebreaking seems easier.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

I haven't seen or read the Lardy info but I'm guessing he means in the best case scenario for socializing your puppy letting him/her bond with you as much as possible is his real intention. Course I"ve got a lot of fleas sleeping with some real dawgs back in the day.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    I haven't seen or read the Lardy info but I'm guessing he means in the best case scenario for socializing your puppy letting him/her bond with you as much as possible is his real intention. Course I"ve got a lot of fleas sleeping with some real dawgs back in the day.
    2 legged or 4 legged?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post

on the other hand when its dead hot part of summer he's ur worst enemy. if the lights were on when i kick him out id prolly see the saddest puppy dog face ever
    This time of year, my knucklehead will start on the bed but get down pretty quick with out being told (he knows when he's hot).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    2 legged or 4 legged?
    I will let the forum draw their own conclusions.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon