The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mike Lardy... surely you jest!

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post

You mean me or the dog? He has many good qualities, but I thank God daily for giving him an off switch for the house.

He's not too far from you until about Labor Day.
    Rook,
    I was talking about you, I would never talk about your dog that way, that's getting to personal!
    It was a compliment, it cracks me up that he slept on your pillow after you said no dogs in the bed ever.
    Can I ask where your dog is at? It's been a beautiful summer here the last few weeks for dog training.
    Maria

Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    Rook,
    I was talking about you, I would never talk about your dog that way, that's getting to personal!
    It was a compliment, it cracks me up that he slept on your pillow after you said no dogs in the bed ever.
    Can I ask where your dog is at? It's been a beautiful summer here the last few weeks for dog training.
    Maria
    You were pretty accurate in your description, and it would have been accurate for him too.

That first night I put him in his crate beside the bed at 10 and he promptly passed out. I quickly congratulated myself on all my reading and dog training knowledge I had accumulated - out loud and to my wife, no less. At 10:45 he awoke with a squalling the likes of which I had never heard, and none of my "expertise" seemed to work all of a sudden. A good comeuppance every now and then is a good thing.

When I finally put him in the bed around 2:30 I would have done just about anything to get the noise to stop. Of course he immediately passed out and slept like a baby. I don't think I slept a wink that entire night. I don't have any children, so about 2 weeks later, after getting up at least twice a night to take him out, I was like a zombie. A great and very humbling experience all the way around. I am not sure how my wife put up with it.

Jimmy (the dog) is down around Chatfield somewhere. I have been watching the weather there with envy, even if it has been cooler and much wetter than usual here. It's August 1 and I still have green grass with no watering.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 08-01-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Remember, that first night with you is (hopefully) the worst day of that pup's life.
    I suspect most dogs would tell you the worst day if their life was the first day they had their ear pinched.

Typically I would never think about bringing a puppy into bed, and I don't have adults sleeping in bed either. That being said, we drove from Michigan to Texas to get our new pup back in April. After two long days of driving we were tired, and truthfully the last thing either of us wanted was to listen to a screaming puppy in a crate all night long. So, we brought her into bed with us. First night she slept curled around our heads. Second night she slept between us midway down the bed. Third night she slept at the footend, and night four we transitioned her into her kennel with zero issues. She was 7 weeks old when we picked her up, and she has slept the entire night through from the beginning. This experience has definitely changed my mind about managing a new puppy.
    "Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong." ~ Kim C.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I suspect most dogs would tell you the worst day if their life was the first day they had their ear pinched.
    or dewclaw removal day?

Roger Fangsrud, an old school guy if there ever was one, told us to sleep with our new pup years ago. Since then we have done it with all our dogs, all of them eventually migrate off the bed as they mature, all except for Alex who thinks he's an 80 pound red haired human. A side benefit of doing this is that they house train very quickly as you wake up every time they stir in the night, so you can carry them outside before they have an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Probably the third day once it starts getting nice and tender

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Probably the third day once it starts getting nice and tender
    I considered days 3-5 but decided that day 1 this person who encouraged and played with them suddenly hurts them so that shocking revaluation would have to be the worst.

Good point

Is it too early to transition my 8 year-old lab out of the bed? I am worried he will start yelping.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg