The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do you have pics 55 gallon plastic dog house

Default do you have pics 55 gallon plastic dog house

looking to make some dog houses out of some plastic drums. any pics would be great or plans. thinking about welding pipe together for the stand. thanks

No pics but...
    Get white barrels from car wash. At least you know it was just "soap" vs nastier chemicals.
    Use saws all or something to cut out 1/2 of lid.
    Drill small drain holes at each end.
    Cradle doesn't need to be crazy but a good touch is to build one that has a flat "roof deck" with 18" over hang above entrance. Untreated cedar deck boards or light color composite stuff. So make cradle where barrel nearly touches ground and deck nearly touches barrel and not high for dog to jump up. A few steps for older dog.
    Dog can hang out on deck so you still keep usable sq/ft of your kennel.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

We hang ours from rafters or supports with chain. Works well especially if you can put two side by side in adjacent kennels and tie them together. Adds stability.
    Courage-being scared to death but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

If you don't know where you're going, every road will get you there.

Pick your battles. Be sure they're small enough to win but big enough to matter.

I don't even understand the concept... what's the "cradle"?

I have 3 of them and me and a buddy built close to a doz for a friend that is a Pro.

Get a jig saw and cut a square out of the front for the dog to get in and out of. Then use that for your template for the rest.

Use pressure treated wood and cut a frame for the front and back of the box. The run a wood brace between the 2.

Then use a impact drill to screw the braceonto the bottem of the box. Use phillip flat head screws.

Your done and the dog will have years. I do not have a flat stand on top of the box. why would you need one. Nor do I have a flap for the front.

I live in NJ where the wind is predominant in the summer and winter so I just face the boxes so when the rain wraps it does not come in the opening.

I built stands for mine out of 1 1/2" pvc pipe they are 6" off the ground.
    Drill small holes and zip tie the barrel to the pipes on all 4 posts.
    I cut out all of the bottom of the barrel except 2" around the edge for stability.

I will text or email pics to anyone that wants to see em.
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Buck

According to the USDA regs Barrels, no matter what they ar made of, are illegal in most states, Pa where I live is one of them.
    The USDA Regs in Sec. 3.4(b)(2) of the existing regulations for calculating the floor space for housing dogs require that it have (length of dog in inches + 6) x (width of dog in inches + 6) = the required square inches of floor space.
    It should also be 6 in. taller than the dogs head when the dog is standing.

also see page 166 21.24 (e) http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/dat...-2/26_2_rr.pdf

Except for some of the smaller Labs, the 55 gal barrel does not meet the required criteria.

john

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 07-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

That is the problem when you have government intervention. I sometimes duck hunt the Ohio River in SW Ohio and NE KY. You see people have poor dogs tied to trees with no cover from the weather. However, their fighting roosters are tied to 55 gallon barrels, standing straight up, where they can get out of the weather. BTW I do not use a 55 gal. barrels.

This is similar to mine. But be careful building a platform on top of the barrels because you're building a heightened platform for the dog to jump out of his kennel.

Are you kidding me anyone would even consider a government regulation for a dog house? Next you better not hunt your dog if the water temperature is below 47.5 degrees, then only land retrieves!

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)