The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behavior head scratcher?

Default Behavior head scratcher?

I've got a two year old, un-neutered male who will pee on the corner of our bed if allowed access to the upstairs bedroom area, most particularly if there is no one home. Seldom happens when someone is home but did this morning, and for the first time that I know about, on our daughter's bed. He had been taken outside just 20 minutes earlier. I don't believe that he has ever peed in our first floor where he and the other dogs have free access to several rooms. We have been putting up a gate to the upstairs but sometimes forget, and we would prefer not needing to do this. For the fact that he hasn't done this anywhere in the first floor leads me to rule out a physical issue. The dogs have always been welcome to sleep upstairs and there are dog beds available in our bedroom. One of the dogs sleeps in the girls room, the other two, including my little pisser, chose to sleep downstairs.

Should I put him in a crate for a while in our bedroom, and then close him in our room with us when we sleep so that he feels ownership/welcome in the space and therefore won't bespoil his/our room?

Getting quite a bit ticked off!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post

Should I put him in a crate for a while in our bedroom, and then close him in our room with us when we sleep so that he feels ownership/welcome in the space and therefore won't bespoil his/our room?
    I don't think I'd accommodate him. In fact - he's already marked it as his. Reverse it - the only thing that belongs to your dog is the inside of his crate.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Your male dog is marking. it is an unfortunate behavior that develops in some males as they sexually mature. It can be a difficult problem to break and has nothing to do with needing to go out. It is a dominance behavior. I had a dog about the same age, maybe younger, that marked the edge of the couch on two or three occasions. Before it became an unbreakable habit, or I was forced to kennel the dog outside the house at all times, I had him neutered. That solved the problem. But, I was told if the dog has been marking for a while even neutering may not help. I was told if I chose to neuter to do it sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I've got a two year old, un-neutered male who will pee on the corner of our bed if allowed access to the upstairs bedroom area, most particularly if there is no one home. Seldom happens when someone is home but did this morning, and for the first time that I know about, on our daughter's bed. He had been taken outside just 20 minutes earlier. I don't believe that he has ever peed in our first floor where he and the other dogs have free access to several rooms. We have been putting up a gate to the upstairs but sometimes forget, and we would prefer not needing to do this. For the fact that he hasn't done this anywhere in the first floor leads me to rule out a physical issue. The dogs have always been welcome to sleep upstairs and there are dog beds available in our bedroom. One of the dogs sleeps in the girls room, the other two, including my little pisser, chose to sleep downstairs.

Getting quite a bit ticked off!

I'd take him out every 15 minutes?
    Last edited by Gary Southall; 08-06-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Let me throw this out there.
    My wife wakes me up all the time saying one of our dogs peed in the bed or floor, but its from one slobering from chewing on his feet and one likes to lick the carpet

I could fix this problem in one training session. There would be no need for a clicker or treats.

If I ever get another male pup again, I am going to get my head examined. Just kidding. BUT. . . between the ages of 18 and 30 months I really do understand sending your dog off to a pro to deal with. They try every dominance trick in the book and you have to be really quick to stay ahead of them. With my current delinquent I have had to set him up to get a correction for inappropriate pissing! The two places he will do it is at the foot of the stairs to the bedroom and the corner of his kennel nearest the older dog. (Only after eating, weird). My husband lets him out first thing in the morning, (he sleeps in his crate) and then when he comes in, I hide behind the stair wall. First thing he does is come p on the first step. I guess this is supposed to keep the other dogs from getting to me first. Anyway, as soon as he does it I come down on him hard. Mostly verbally, but have used a squirt gun in the face too. It does work, unless you let him get away with it ever again. THen you start all over. Good luck!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

My male at about 18 months marked ME by peeing on my leg! I tore into him verbally mostly and that was the end of that.

He also did it to his trainer at a HT where the trainer couldn't correct him : )

This dog is an MH and is my full-time house dog now. Just a growing/dominance thing that happens sometimes. But you HAVE to fix it or never give him access to the area where he has done it.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    I don't think I'd accommodate him. In fact - he's already marked it as his. Reverse it - the only thing that belongs to your dog is the inside of his crate.
    Reverse it? He should pee on the corner of the bed? Might be sound advice but I am not sure his wife will go along with it.

I have 8 dogs in the house and the only one I have an issue with is a taco dog that we took in after the GF dad passed.
    My answer to a dog peeing is a firm hand. During house training I would "Deck Down" the one who did it when I caught them. It's a trick I learned from old school OB trainer. It looks terrible bet gets the point across quick. After the deck down outside they went.
    It's a great tool when done and usually cures the dominance issues.
    Ill see if I can post up a picture if the GF will take it.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.