RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pup keeps hurting his front leg

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Breck 
#1 ·
my 9 month old lab pup has just started to have a re-occurring injury to his front right leg. It seems he keeps hyper-extending it outwards accidently when playing. The first time he did it he just took a couple hobble steps before laying down and was back up running within 1 min. The next time he yelped when he did it but went back to normal fairly quickly. I've been trying to play with him very gently but he just goes after whatever toy so hard he hurts himself. He just did it again and yelped for about 10 seconds and its starting to freak me out.

i called my vet but they are closed today and Ill call tomrw. I am planning on pretty much eliminating his activities for a few days to let it heal. Any other suggestions to help or how long I should restrict activities?

#2 ·
Since his gait returns to normal fairly quickly after these episodes you should make a video of him when his gait is abnormal, that might help with diagnosis.

#4 ·
It will take more than a couple days to heal. When my girl strained her back knee she was shut down for 14 days.
I know it will stink but it's what you have to do.
Let us know what your vet says.

#6 ·
i hope it nothing like that.

I think he's strained his shoulder ligaments by abducting his arm to far laterally.

the very first time he did it was on a 10 foot toss of a fun bumper at the end of training. he kinda flopped over on his arm accidently. I have done similar things to myself. Especially on ankle. Then it remained my prone to re-injury for a while.

I gonna bench him for at least 10 days and see what vet says.

thx for input

#8 ·
Taking my boy to vet this morning. Tried giving him sometime over the weekend to see if would get better. He re-hurt it everyday even with very restricted activity. Yesterday he did not hurt it which was good. He still runs around like a mad man as if nothing is wrong with him. It is very hard to get a 9 month lab to just sit and relax, he would barely relax when i would run him for an hour or two prior to injury.

Hopefully vet will say nothing is seriously wrong. My poor dog just wants to retrieve and play and can't figure out why all of a sudden we won't throw anything for him.

#9 ·
Hope you took some videos for your vet to observe (as recommended by Dr. Aycock).

#10 ·
Not to sound cruel, but at 9 months old he should be sitting without any issues. Sounds like with this injury would be a good time to do nothing but obedience work on lead, once you get the injury looked at.
Like I said any kind of strain/sprain is not going to heal in a few days. Shut him completely down until the vet gives you the ok to go back to full activities.

Keep us posted.

#12 ·
Spoke with vet. Xrays are clear of fracture/dislocation. She said it is Panosteitis and will hopefully improve on its own over the next few months. Said its common for male labs of this age to have and usually goes away as it is self limiting . I hope so.

Anyone have expierience with this? She said to try to moderate his activity level until symptoms are gone. She said he should be ok to swim.

#13 ·
I had an Old English Sheepdog with pano years ago when there was no grain free kibble to be had. I actually switched all my dogs to a raw diet and never have had the problem again. Whistler ended up having pano in each of his four legs, but one leg at a time. It is very painful for the dog. My vet put Whistler on some pain meds, crate rest and leash walks only. He was as driven as any of my Labs, so was not at all happy about the down time.

I mentioned the change in diet because raw fed or grain free kibble fed dogs tend to have a bit slower growth rate so don't shoot up in height quite so quickly.

Laurie

#16 ·
Until you find out for sure whats going on, STOP allowing your dog to run PERIOD.
Not inside or outside. Air your dog on leash and when indoors either crate dog or tether it to a piece of furniture with a leash. Or to your belt loop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.