The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pup keeps hurting his front leg

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    Not to sound cruel, but at 9 months old he should be sitting without any issues. Sounds like with this injury would be a good time to do nothing but obedience work on lead, once you get the injury looked at.
    Like I said any kind of strain/sprain is not going to heal in a few days. Shut him completely down until the vet gives you the ok to go back to full activities.

Keep us posted.

Its not a matter of obedience but energy levels. My dog is kenneled for 8 hours a day while I work. When I get home and let him out he doesn't want to just lay around the rest of the night, he wants to play and retrieve. He will sit on command but not for 8 hours till its time to sleep. We've kept him inside and confinded but he just gets too stir crazy and starts running around the house all crazy.

I have been doing straight obedience work with him since he can't train. It seemed to help burn off a little energy.

As far as video goes, I haven't been able too b/c his injury is so acute and quick to leave. He will just be going about his buisiness and then he hurts it and in 1 min he's back running like nothing happened.

vet kept him for the day to do xrays. going to call soon.

Spoke with vet. Xrays are clear of fracture/dislocation. She said it is Panosteitis and will hopefully improve on its own over the next few months. Said its common for male labs of this age to have and usually goes away as it is self limiting . I hope so.

Anyone have expierience with this? She said to try to moderate his activity level until symptoms are gone. She said he should be ok to swim.

I had an Old English Sheepdog with pano years ago when there was no grain free kibble to be had. I actually switched all my dogs to a raw diet and never have had the problem again. Whistler ended up having pano in each of his four legs, but one leg at a time. It is very painful for the dog. My vet put Whistler on some pain meds, crate rest and leash walks only. He was as driven as any of my Labs, so was not at all happy about the down time.

I mentioned the change in diet because raw fed or grain free kibble fed dogs tend to have a bit slower growth rate so don't shoot up in height quite so quickly.

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by straightsix View Post
    As far as video goes, I haven't been able too b/c his injury is so acute and quick to leave. He will just be going about his buisiness and then he hurts it and in 1 min he's back running .
    FWIW this is not a typical history for panosteitis, it does not produce an intermittent lameness.

Xrays only show bone and occasional soft tissue abnormalities. The shoulder is an extremely complex joint with 7 ligament and tendon attachments, if your dog does not improve in a reasonable time you would be well advised to seek the counsel of a Board Certified orthopedic surgeon.
    Last edited by EdA; 08-06-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by straightsix View Post
    Its not a matter of obedience but energy levels. My dog is kenneled for 8 hours a day while I work. When I get home and let him out he doesn't want to just lay around the rest of the night, he wants to play and retrieve. He will sit on command but not for 8 hours till its time to sleep. We've kept him inside and confinded but he just gets too stir crazy and starts running around the house all crazy.

I have been doing straight obedience work with him since he can't train. It seemed to help burn off a little energy.

As far as video goes, I haven't been able too b/c his injury is so acute and quick to leave. He will just be going about his buisiness and then he hurts it and in 1 min he's back running like nothing happened.

vet kept him for the day to do xrays. going to call soon.
    It is something you have to learn to deal with. IMO his training structure is lacking if he's that crazy and won't mind.
    When he acts like that and you let him do it he will always do to get what he wants.
    How does he act when you feed him? You need to get that energy under control and then use it for what it's intended for.

I'd still kennel him when your not doing on lead training, being consistent he'll soon realize he has to behave. Get him healthy then move on.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Until you find out for sure whats going on, STOP allowing your dog to run PERIOD.
    Not inside or outside. Air your dog on leash and when indoors either crate dog or tether it to a piece of furniture with a leash. Or to your belt loop.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie