The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I screwed up! To much collar

Default I screwed up! To much collar

Ok on t drills I used to much collar pressure very low setting but to many times. Is the best way to correct this is to run her with the collar on but leave the transmitter in side so I can't nick her no matter what.

Or what should I do

Get help in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Ok on t drills I used to much collar pressure very low setting but to many times. Is the best way to correct this is to run her with the collar on but leave the transmitter in side so I can't nick her no matter what.

Or what should I do
    That's a good start. If you have a good pro nearby go there.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

sometimes to low a # is just as bad as too high a #, BUT I would not presume that without seeing how the dog is responding , in person
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Or what should I do
    What are the symptoms? No-goes, flairing off line, bolting? I agree with the others that recommend you train with a local pro or good amateur until you understand the collar. Too many low collar corrections is just nagging and could be confusing to the dog. The dog needs to understand the correction or pressure in order to turn it off.

John

Based on your diaster on the thread "When to start swim bye" and now this, I would agree with John and others that you definitely need some hands on help. Previously you said you had done cc, FTP and T.

So what were you working on?
    Are you following an established training program? If so, surely they talk about lots of freebies in doing certain drills.

Until you learn how to properly use the ecollar, I would keep the transmitter in your pocket.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Only one no go and she took off to the house. She came back and ran it with a come in whistle and a back command. She is just jogging out and back. Took the collar off ran her an hour later and she nailed it wide open. Next day collar on she was slow going and seem to anticipate the commands sit overs or she was anticipating the collar. She is cc to sit. That's basically what I used the collar for that and come in whistle. She is a little stubborn to the come in whistle with out a bumper

Only one no go and she took off to the house.
    Now you need to work on a bolting issue- Don't type anything on RTF again until you go visit a pro or get some help from a very experienced person. You will not get the help here you need. Your next post should read, "Any Advice on Pro Trainers in my Area?"

I stopped swim bye. After one try I saw she wasn't ready there aren't any pro around me closest one is 90 miles that's why I am on this site. Y'all are my pros

yes she is collar conditioned to force to pile and t drill. I was working on a quicker sit. Hence the collar on the lowest setting.

Well thanks Paul Wonder why so many people ask so many questions on here for pros to help out