The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I screwed up! To much collar

Pros are people you PAY for good advice. What you are going to get here is what you pay for, nothing. You need to at least stop training and start learning a little from whatever program, book or DVD, that you select. Folks here will not be able to pick up the pieces when your train wrecks. You need a live person, near by, Pro or Am, to point you in the right direction.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

You are describing a situation that is hard to give advice to if one does not see the dog in action. If you do not understand how to use the e-collar properly, it is hard to give you advice on how to fix your dog's issue. While there are flow charts and recommendations on drills to use and procedures to follow, all dogs are different and respond to training situations in different ways. It appears that you have created a problem that could be difficult to fix if we do not see the symptoms. So, finding a good training group, or traveling that 90 miles to see a pro is probably the best advice you are going to get on RTF. Not being a smart-a$$, just being realistic.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Well thanks Paul Wonder why so many people ask so many questions on here for pros to help out
    Skinny, this is a wonderful site for bringing a bunch of retriever people together and there is much to discuss, but dog training is so complex and each dog is an individual, so internet advise is problematic. I think any one of us would be a big help to you if we were standing next to you, but without actually seeing your dog and you in action, our advise could be just the opposite of what you need. Some issues need to be dealt with by using more force, while another issue that comes across on the internet as the same, is made much worse using more force. Reading the dog is easy for very experienced trainers, not so easy for beginners.

John

Thanks for the advice on. John I understand u and I def don't think your a smart a$$. I guess I need to clarify my questions and title. More. It's not near as big of a problem as I think I made it out to be. Thanks all for the help

Who is Paul Wonder? Are u following an established training program?
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 08-01-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Who is Paul Wonder?
    I think he meant to end the sentence with a period after the word Paul. Wonder is the start of the next sentence.

Well thanks Paul Wonder why so many people ask so many questions on here for pros to help out

Wayne i think he forgot to put a ,

Well thanks Paul, Wonder why so many people ask so many questions on here for pros to help out
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

Where are you located? Perhaps someone on this site could point you to someone that may be able to help.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Thanks for the advice on. John I understand u and I def don't think your a smart a$$. I guess I need to clarify my questions and title. More. It's not near as big of a problem as I think I made it out to be. Thanks all for the help
    Your thread title complete with exclamation point reminds me of the time I was training my first puppy with a collar. I put too much pressure on the dog, he didn't know what I wanted so he just shut down. He was maybe 10-12 months old and I thought I had just ruined him. I came home all dejected telling my wife I had just ruined our dog, she ever the sensible one, said it was highly unlikely I could ruin a dog in one session even if I tried. She was right, think long term, do your best and move ahead one day at a time always thinking about the end goal a year or two down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Who is Paul Wonder?

I outgrew the name, "Boy Wonder"..