The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trial/test setup question

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Walker are you advertising ?
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Why is your dog swinging off a mark to a shot? Did you ask it to?
    Cause the dog also saw a bird being thrown......aren't dogs taught to look at the attention getter?.......if they didn't they did not see ANY of the second "mark"

And @handler error, I have NO IDEA what you are talking about ..........
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    Cause the dog also saw a bird being thrown......aren't dogs taught to look at the attention getter?.......if they didn't they did not see ANY of the second "mark"......
    No, dog should not be taught to look at attention getter. Just the opposite, teach dog to look or continue to look exactly where you have him pointed until You move, which should be dogs cue that it's OK for him to move. What you describe is just a head swinging free for all. In training do marking drills where helper intentionally moves or makes noise while you keep dog looking at other mark. A "walk away" drill can be done once in a while too.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I guess I didn't realize I should prepare for a hunt test setup in which their was an intentional attempt to make a dog not see a mark...... Two questions though, if I don't let her turn to the next mark, she will not see it at all. Second, how do you handle a remote if your dog only swings with you? Many times I train with my six year old (who has been coming with me since she was 18 months)and my three year old son running randomly around the field I am setting up in, so they will ignore distraction. I think training to ignore what is commonly aa attention getter at a hunt test would cause more problems.........
    Fritz Baier

Breck
    , no disrespect at all towards your opinion, just hunt test rules say that an attention getter should come from the station prior to launch. My dog will turn with me but also will look to where she hears a duck call or shot, which is what I want her to do..... To many remotes to not have a dog turn on their own to the attention getter. I did contemplate stepping up and not letting her turn, but figured with every body else handling on bird one, and few handling on bird two I needed her to see bird two as much as possible. She ended up stepping on the test, but I still believe the test was not set up as a marking test. Which is too bad, because the bird placement would have been a good setup if dogs would have been allowed to see it....
    Fritz Baier

So which one doesn't get considered a mark, the first one that the dog swings from, or the second one that the dog swings to after hearing the shot?

Exactly!!!!!!!! How do you decide which to judge as a mark?
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

I get where you're coming from. Sometimes at an event you get a bad break like not enough time between marks.
    As far as the attention getters, when they blow a call behind you does your dog look towards it?
    In a Hunting Test you Know where the attention getters are going to come from and the approximate timing. So if judges are signaling for second bird 4 seconds after 1st one, heel and turn your dogs attention to next location before they call so you are in control not the dog.
    If you get your dog dialed in to this sort of handling you'll do a bang up job.
    My personal criteria is, with dog at heel/sit, they are not to look away from a fall period until I physically move cueing them to move with me, typically that means pointing one foot then the other towards next mark followed by a little body and the dog. Dog at your side is always in heel/sit even while pivoting.
    Anyway, may not suit your HT needs, I don't run them, but something to think about.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Second, how do you handle a remote if your dog only swings with you?
    I think that training the dog not to move or headswing without you as Breck discussed will ultimately help in remotes. I have found that the dogs tend to head swing badly with remotes (which is one of the reasons to use them) but if the dog is very disciplined on the line they will still look to the next bird when it is tossed but is more likely to focus on the one it should be watching at the time just a smidge longer. At least I have never been able to train one that would look at the first bird thrown forever in a remote and not turn to the others.

Limiman12, since your dog and the other dog that smoked the test were known hunting dogs and the remainder of the participants handled on 1 or two birds in that series must have proved to the judges that a "real hunt happened", may not be desirable per the rules , but the hunting dogs did prevail-can't argue with the results. I agree with Breck for "TESTING" and Trialing , but Limiman12 put your dog on the bow of the boat and sit back and shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Tilleraas;
    , but Limiman12 put your dog on the bow of the boat and sit back and shoot!
    Is it alright if I stand up to shoot? . Seven master level passes in three different venues so far this summer, looking to get seven more in the next nine weeks........then we are gonna have a lot of fun chasing birds this fall! Hopefully simultaneous falls lots of times!

I guess I just don't understand why a judge by any means not set up a marking test with the intent to allow the dog to see a majority of the arc, and the fall at least to the cover it is falling into.
    Fritz Baier