The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GDG Subaru anyone? GDG

When we bought the first one the salesman said,"Well, Subaru is all you'll buy now. That's what people do, after they buy one they get another." We've had 2 and getting a third...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Well now I know why Subaru is the community car here in Taos! It is great in snow and we have lots and lots of left leaning, dread dragging, mixed orientation, Obama voting, greenies here. Now I get why all I see is Subarus with locals driving and all our visitors come from Texas in their Dodge Ram 4 wheel drive diesel duallies. To run over the locals. Sort of a new civil war brewing I think!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Thanks for the replies. How about the regular stuff like alternators and starters? Any of ya'll have a clutch? That snow comment is pretty funny. I'm much more interested in the performance of the AC (Heat index here yesterday 115).

Subarus are great cars (I've owned 3) but you pay a gas mileage penalty for AWD and if you don't drive in snow why go with a Subaru when there are plenty of similar type vehicles with FWD that will get much better gas mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwestall View Post
    Subarus are great cars (I've owned 3) but you pay a gas mileage penalty for AWD and if you don't drive in snow why go with a Subaru when there are plenty of similar type vehicles with FWD that will get much better gas mileage?
    I'd give up a few mpg for a reliable car. Toyota is next on the list. If I didn't need my truck I'd be driving either one of those makes.
    Eventually Ill be down to one dog and maybe get one. Hmmmm me only own one dog?
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwestall View Post
    There are several reasons I have been looking at the outback/forester: I am about 6'3" but have a fairly short inseam thus a very long back causing me to sit very tall. The rooflines on many modern vehicles (including many full size trucks and SUVs are so low as to block my view down the road) but I can see out of those two Subarus. I prefer to drive a clutch and there aren't many vehicles so equipped these days (can't even get an F150 or Chevy/GM 1/2 ton with a clutch!!) but the Forester and Outback can be got with a manual trans. We live on the coast and on occasion we like to go to the beach. Four wheel drive is a real plus in the sand. Not actually in the market right now, but in a year or so maybe. Really appreciate the input ya'll!
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I am about 6'3" but have a fairly short inseam thus a very long back causing me to sit very tall.
    I have the same problem. I can't even get in a lot of cars without hitting my head and then have to recline the seat so I am not looking at the headliner.

I have never had a Subaru but my wife took a look at the Forester when she was looking at cars and it was nice and I could get in and out. I had thought of it when I finally retire my old hoopty, if I could get one without an Obama sticker.

I think every 2 years with your emission test the Feds come to your home and add a new Obama or similar sticker to the lift gate.

No experience with Subaru, but we bought a Toyota 4Runner last fall and it's been great. Recently attended a hunt test where it rained all weekend and found the 4Runner handled the seriously muddy roads without a hitch, and it was great in the snow last winter. It was the only vehicle in that class we could squeeze our 2 large Ruff Tuff kennels into... it still kinda pains me to see this nice new car with only 11,000 miles on it covered with mud, filled with dog hair, muddy paw prints on the back bumper, and dirty all the time, but it works great as a dog truck/daily vehicle for me. Neither of us are tall, but it seems pretty boxy to me, that's one reason the kennels fit in the back. Should have plenty of headroom. We still take the big Ford diesel truck with the Zinger kennels in it for hunt tests or training days when we need a lot of equipment.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Pam, I drive a 4Runner with 190,000 miles on it. It is all the things you said, and I have actually used it to pull a F-350 out of a snow bank! But how do you get two large crates in???? Mine will not fit side by side between the wheel wells. Maybe my older one is arranged different? Its a 2003.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Toyota FJ Crusier.... You will NEVER look back..
    You will be be able to go anywhere.

It fullfills your boyhood yearning to drive a REAL Tonka Truck...

They have suicide doors!!!! (How cool is that,,, Gangsta)

They have a PINK fan Pully (Why I bought ours)

You will be VERY popular with the Ellen DeGeneres Crowd!! THEY have a White TT,, special edition (SHAAAAAA!!!)

I LOVE ours!!! I just cant get it muddy.... Mrs Gooser wont let me!!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"