The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Ear Question...

Default Another Ear Question...

I have a BLM that has an ear infection too often, however it is only in his right ear. Our vet has thrown out the idea that food may be the culprit. Since it is only in one ear, I tend to think food is not the issue.

Thoughts?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

SHR Kerrybrook's Trollady Hero With Fire
    SHR Kelrobin Trollady's Murphy CGC

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
    Hunters Safety Instructor

I have one that is bad about it too, always put ear cleaner stuff in her ear, but she is forever shaking her ears so I don't know how well that is working. What have you been doing for your dog?
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

We are using a fingernail polish soft pad or cotton ball dampened with hydrogen peroxide to wipe out his ears and then we are treating with Zymox. The "purple stuff" sounds interesting. We actually have a dog out of the Kelrobin/Woodhaven lab kennel, however it is not the one with the ear problem.

His ear gets gunky and has the odor, but he rarely scratches or shakes his head. Now, when you rub that ear for him... you can tell it feels good.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

NRA Life Member

My pup had an ear infection in one ear only. The vet thought it was odd he had one so young(5 months). It has cleared up now and I used vets best ear wash & dry to keep it clean. Only thing I can figure is when he rolls in the grass he tends to favor flopping on one side and perhaps some grass or weed got up in there. Hopefully it won't be a recurring problem.

We strugged with a recurrent ear infection for almost two years: changed feed, tried a half dozen different medications, cleaned daily with several different solutions, and got minor results, but could never really nip it.

Last year the vet suggested an allergy shot, so we did the shot in conjuction with the regular cleanings. It cleared up totally in about 2 weeks, and we haven't seen it come back yet. That was back in October, and the dog hunted hard this past fall with no problems.

I'll try to find out what the specific allergy shot she got was.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartazoo View Post
    I have a BLM that has an ear infection too often, however it is only in his right ear. Our vet has thrown out the idea that food may be the culprit. Since it is only in one ear, I tend to think food is not the issue.

Thoughts?
    I have two english bullies besides my lab. My lab doesn't have any ear issues but the bullies have ear problems if not paid attention to, I use Tresaderm twice weekly as a preventitive for it. It's a little pricy and must be refrigerated but it is very effective.

Every dog that I've had that got recurring ear infections, always got them in only one ear. And it was always the same ear.

Since the time I learned that it's often caused by a food allergy, I have not had an issue with recurring ear infections.
    My dogs do not all eat the same food for that reason.

However, I never have to put crap in their ears, or take special steps to keep them clean. And they are in nasty pond water almost every day.

I firmly believe that a dog's immune system works.
    And I firmly believe that when it doesn't keep the dog from getting ear infections, it is almost always due to the dog not getting along with it's food.

If you're using zymox, I don't think you're supposed to clean the ear with peroxide or anything else. You're just supposed to squirt the zymox in and rub base of ear so it gets down in there. Then use a dry cotton ball or cloth to wipe off excess gunk and liquid from upper ear.
    Zymox has been a real help to us. Usually solves the problem in 7 to 10 days.

Food is an issue. We feed a great food, but my clients will often give my dogs whatever crap treats they carry with them and this will cause a flare-up. So when you start thinking food allergies, remember not to give treats with the same allergens in them.

We are feeding him Purina Pro Plan Hi-Po in the purple bag, so it is quality food. I hope he doesn't have an allergy to it because he needs the higher energy food. We will stick with the Zymox program for 7-10 days and hopefully that will clear it up.

Thanks!

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spartazoo View Post
    We are feeding him Purina Pro Plan Hi-Po in the purple bag, so it is quality food. I hope he doesn't have an allergy to it because he needs the higher energy food. We will stick with the Zymox program for 7-10 days and hopefully that will clear it up.

Thanks!
    It's not the food's fault that individual dogs do not always get along with it.
    Dogs are unique. Like snowflakes.

There are lots of 30/20 performance foods out there. Not every dog is going to agree with every one of them.