The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shotgun Recommendations

Default New Shotgun Recommendations

Looking for a new waterfowl gun this fall. I had the Super Vinci last year and did not like the gun - didnt shoulder well for me, the shells did not cycle smoothly and everytime I pulled the trigger the trigger guard would almost cut my hand! The new Browning A5 being released in a 3 1/2'' chamber is rather intriguing... anyone else looking at that gun and any information you can provide would be appreciated!

If I was to buy a new gun it would be either the Beretta 400 with kick off or the Browning Maxus. It's very important that the gun fits you. The best thing to do is go to a store that has a good selection and see which one fits. I'd hold off on the new A5 until all the bugs are worked out of the gun.

I have the Beretta A400 w/kickoff. It will handle 3-1/2" loads and cycle 7/8oz loads without any jams. I let my son shoot it when we shoot sporting clays together. I buy the Fiochi 7/8 oz trainer loads for him. It hasn't jammed with those loads yet. The Browning Maxus and the Remington Versa Max are good choices too.

I shouldered the versa max, SBE II, and A400. The A400 fit me the best and love it. Kicks like a light load 20ga and has never missed a beat in rain, snow, or any other situation I put it through.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

try a remington 870......any ol' pawn shop will do.
    john mccallie

Another vote for the A400, it fit me the best and I can say it's the best waterfowl gun I've had to date, easy to break down and clean and I had no issues with it at all.

You guys that love these auto's: Do you hunt in cold weather (single digits fahrenheit)? Do you hunt in fields?

I have yet to see an auto that at some point didn't turn into a single shot. A good buddy has an Extrema, and it went a number of years without an issue, but last year it gave out in cold/dirty conditions. I would like to use one, but have not been convinced of thier reliability.

pump user regards,

A400 or Winchester SX3, SX2

only had my A400 for a year but have never had even a glimpse of jamming. Friend has an extrema II and ran probably 7500 shells through it over the years without a single hiccup.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback!