RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New Shotgun Recommendations

8K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  shawninthesticks 
#1 ·
Looking for a new waterfowl gun this fall. I had the Super Vinci last year and did not like the gun - didnt shoulder well for me, the shells did not cycle smoothly and everytime I pulled the trigger the trigger guard would almost cut my hand! The new Browning A5 being released in a 3 1/2'' chamber is rather intriguing... anyone else looking at that gun and any information you can provide would be appreciated!

#2 ·
If I was to buy a new gun it would be either the Beretta 400 with kick off or the Browning Maxus. It's very important that the gun fits you. The best thing to do is go to a store that has a good selection and see which one fits. I'd hold off on the new A5 until all the bugs are worked out of the gun.

#3 ·
I have the Beretta A400 w/kickoff. It will handle 3-1/2" loads and cycle 7/8oz loads without any jams. I let my son shoot it when we shoot sporting clays together. I buy the Fiochi 7/8 oz trainer loads for him. It hasn't jammed with those loads yet. The Browning Maxus and the Remington Versa Max are good choices too.

#7 ·
You guys that love these auto's: Do you hunt in cold weather (single digits fahrenheit)? Do you hunt in fields?

I have yet to see an auto that at some point didn't turn into a single shot. A good buddy has an Extrema, and it went a number of years without an issue, but last year it gave out in cold/dirty conditions. I would like to use one, but have not been convinced of thier reliability.

pump user regards,

#15 ·
I agrew with the pump, but not the auto. The post 90's 1187's are junk IMO. You take 100 of them and you may be luck to find 25 that have no issues.

#23 ·
After guiding for 12 yrs on the saginaw Bay, and witnessing numerous hunters with every make and model know to man. I recently replace my SBEII with the Beretta Extreme II. Lov it !

#30 ·
I have an early 90's 11-87 & an SBE (I). Both stocks were fitted for me by a gunsmith. The SBE jammed once when I didn't clean it for a year, not since, in temps down to 10 degrees F in fields closer to freezing in marshes. SBE is easiest to clean. 11-87 is heavy, but has lower recoil. Never jammed (but older 1100's did occasionally.) I had to learn care of each particular AUTO, e.g., NO oil on Rem gas rings...

I use 1300 fps 2&3/4 in Hevishot in both - I find it more effective than 3.5 in shells, but still like the SBE for that (but don't like what has happened to the price of Hevishot!). Even with the price of Hevishot, I can buy a lot for the price of a new Beretta.

I have double bbl upland guns, but prefer autos even there.

Get one of each and a couple of cases of Hevishot 4s & 2s for each.

#35 ·
I have SBE II and love it. I have shot over 50 boxes of 2 3/4 reloads, 2 or 3 cases of factory 2/34 shells hunting doves and pigeons. Also close to case of black cloud 3 1/2 gooose and duck hunting. I have hunted in 90 degree summer days to 9 degree days in Febraury for geese, I can count the miss fires or jammes on one hand. Did I mention that I broke 2 mossberg 835 pump guns.

Love my SBE II.

Bob

#37 ·
I bought the new A5 this spring and so far have only shot it on the sporting clays range. It is a very nice gun and fits me well. I have shot a Berreta and SX3 at ducks for many years but get tired of cleaning the gas operated autos. The inertia action on the new A5 is supposed to be very reliable - Benelli uses that action and they are noted for being very reliable guns. Time will tell on the A5.

#38 ·
dlsweep. I agree a auto can turn into a single shot if not maintained. I would like to add it is the same for ANY firearm. IE last fall on a snow goose hunt both my berretta and my buddies 870 became single shots. after a oil job with break free both were back in action no more issues.

#39 ·
Very specific question: what five guns (semi-autos) would you rate have the lightest recoil, say with 3" #4 in Black Cloud or something similar ? I have been shooting a Benelli M2 for years and love it. Unfortunately, I had to have a pacemaker put in on my shooting side. If I mount the gun properly, there's room, but we all have those times where the mount is less than perfect. For those times I really need the lightest recoil. Thanks for some input.

#40 ·
Very specific question: what five guns (semi-autos) would you rate have the lightest recoil, say with 3" #4 in Black Cloud or something similar ? I have been shooting a Benelli M2 for years and love it.
The heavy gas autos have the lowest recoil, but recoil increases with the square of velocity (both shot and gas leaving the bbl), so switching to 2&3/4 inch 1300 fps Hevishot and keeping the M2 will lower your recoil, keep the gun you like, and is just a lethal as high velocity steel. It might also improve your shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.