The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Shotgun Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by dlsweep View Post
    You guys that love these auto's: Do you hunt in cold weather (single digits fahrenheit)? Do you hunt in fields?

I have yet to see an auto that at some point didn't turn into a single shot. A good buddy has an Extrema, and it went a number of years without an issue, but last year it gave out in cold/dirty conditions. I would like to use one, but have not been convinced of thier reliability.

pump user regards,
    I live in cold weather and hunt almost exclusively in dirty dusty or muddy fields. I have buddies with SX3's and I have a Maxus. Most all of us use BreakFree CLP and we hunt deep into Dec/Jan up here on the Tundra and I've never seen a gun slow to cycle or stovepipe a hull, regardless of the conditions.

SBE's are junk, I've seen numerous of them fail and or fall apart in the field. Welds break, butt pads fall off, single shots, and on and on. It's also an inertia driven gun so it'll kick more than a gasser type system.
    Last edited by TroyFeeken; 08-06-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    I live in cold weather and hunt almost exclusively in dirty dusty or muddy fields. I have buddies with SX3's and I have a Maxus. Most all of us use BreakFree CLP and we hunt deep into Dec/Jan up here on the Tundra and I've never seen a gun slow to cycle or stovepipe a hull, regardless of the conditions.

SBE's are junk, I've seen numerous of them fail and or fall apart in the field. Welds break, butt pads fall off, single shots, and on and on. It's also an inertia driven gun so it'll kick more than a gasser type system.
    What is the BreakFree CLP???

After guiding for 12 yrs on the saginaw Bay, and witnessing numerous hunters with every make and model know to man. I recently replace my SBEII with the Beretta Extreme II. Lov it !
    No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.-Louis Sabin

GRHRCH Hunter's Marsh Happy "Hooch" MH 1000 HRC pts.
    HRCH Laurie's Devil in Disguise " Annie"
    GRHRCH Fields of Fire Pattons Fly BY ! "Phoenix" SH (500 HRC pts)
    HRCH Fields of Fire Webbfooted Flashover " Rson " SH
    Fields of Fire Glowing Ember!

Quote Originally Posted by kftopgun View Post
    It's great stuff!

Throw out that oil your daddy taught you to clean your guns with. Those petroleum based products just gum up in cold and actually collect dust. BreakFree, among others, are much higher end lubricant with cleaning abilities at the same time that are all synthetic base that retain their viscosity in extremely cold temps.
    http://www.break-free.com/
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Bought a Browning Maxus last year for Hunting/Guiding in Arkansas last year. 1-1 1/2 cases later no problems at all, fits me like a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by kftopgun View Post
    Break Free CLP = cleaner, lubricant, preservative......been using that and FP10 and have not had my old Rem 1100 jam in freezing Idaho winters
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by dorkweed View Post
    My experience with them is that if you took 100 of them; you may wind up with enough pieces from that 100 to make 25 relatively reliable guns.................maybe!!
    I have one...it will never fire that one shell at time except for the very first set of 3 after cleaning...biggest POS gun I've ever owned. Might as well be a break action single shot.

Shoulder all the B guns mentioned above...whatever fits you best you wont go wrong with any.

Benelli m2, save a couple hundred, 3.5's are over rated.....cycles everything in all conditions for me

I have an early 90's 11-87 & an SBE (I). Both stocks were fitted for me by a gunsmith. The SBE jammed once when I didn't clean it for a year, not since, in temps down to 10 degrees F in fields closer to freezing in marshes. SBE is easiest to clean. 11-87 is heavy, but has lower recoil. Never jammed (but older 1100's did occasionally.) I had to learn care of each particular AUTO, e.g., NO oil on Rem gas rings...

I use 1300 fps 2&3/4 in Hevishot in both - I find it more effective than 3.5 in shells, but still like the SBE for that (but don't like what has happened to the price of Hevishot!). Even with the price of Hevishot, I can buy a lot for the price of a new Beretta.

I have double bbl upland guns, but prefer autos even there.

Get one of each and a couple of cases of Hevishot 4s & 2s for each.