The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper heeling

Default Proper heeling

When training my dog I notice that as he gets tired he starts sitting farther away from the heel position and rolls over on his hip(crooked sit).

How do I correct this? I am currently teaching him force to pile and he is 1 year old.

I also just ordered a heeling stick but I have never used/trained with one, how do I incorporated the heeling stick to force him to heel properly?

What training program are you following?
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

I just bought the 20.00 Chris akers CD. Following the basics fom YouTube n reading.

Hey Drew, what whistle r u using on the video u posted n how did u teach Ur dog to stop with whistle coming in?

-I would highly recommend getting on a structured training program. From what it sounds like you have skipped some very crucial building steps in the overall training goal. Each program will vary but the ultimate training goal will be the same. Each program teaches building blocks you will need to work with in the future. It is curtail whatever program you follow you do not skip any steps and follow it closely. Most programs teach with a heeling stick in formal obedience as a puppy and use the heeling sticks for other teaching drills such as stick fetch and stick to pile later on. I would recommend do a little research and pick a training program and start from basic obedience with your dog even though it is a year old and you will quickly see how each step builds on the next. It is also helpful because many successful armatures and pro trainers on RTF follow these same training programs and can help you out when you are struggling at any step threw out the program. But it’s hard for anyone to give you advice if you do not follow a structure program and flowchart because no one knows what the dog has completed or not.

-I also sent you a Privet Message with the link to the whistle i use.
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

Sitting over on their hip at 1yo after exertion I would get a priliminary hip x-ray.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    When training my dog I notice that as he gets tired he starts sitting farther away from the heel position and rolls over on his hip(crooked sit).

How do I correct this? I am currently teaching him force to pile and he is 1 year old.

I also just ordered a heeling stick but I have never used/trained with one, how do I incorporated the heeling stick to force him to heel properly?

Have you tried stepping on the dogs foots that is underneath the body?

Yes, I have stepped over his foot but I don't do it all the time. The problems is that at times he's not even besides me, he moves away 2 feet n then sits down almost facing me...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    Yes, I have stepped over his foot but I don't do it all the time. The problems is that at times he's not even besides me, he moves away 2 feet n then sits down almost facing me...
    This is definitely pointing 1 at you and 3 back at myself, but you have to do it every time. Probably the worst thing you can do is to correct for something like this sometimes.

And I would also say that for most people, being 2 feet away and then sitting down almost facing you would not be considered being at heel. How do you correct for this?
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Buy a pinch collar. The dog will stay close. The advice given about following an established program is good. Freelancing and skipping around is not good.
    Note that I have a heeling stick in my hand but use it very little due to the control that I have with the pinch collar.
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...t=Pinch+collar
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 08-06-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"