The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 month old playing too hard

"All things in moderation."
    Our 5 mo old Golden male has "growing pains" as well but it's not enough to slow him down. Rx - Lots of quiet time, play is supervised - the 5 year old thinks he's still a puppy too - and limited to a few minutes. Long walks on lead get him the exercise he needs while also getting good heel and leash training. No more than 2 or 3 marks on land but as many water marks as he can handle. The rest of the time is in training mode under leash control. While some free time is good for the pup this is the time to ensure he understands that you set the rules and "easy" or "sit" mean what you say. You can make a good training routine by allowing some free for all but calling for the time-out and enforcing it. Do some heel or fetch drills and then give him a play break for a few minutes. The panoteitis itself should not be a long term problem but could result in other soft tissue injury as pup over-compensates or crashes due to the sore leg. Been there. Good luck and hope you have long ride with the pup.

^^^Good post. I am going under the assumption that it is growing pains. A lot of people I have talked to say that it would be extremely rare for hip dyspasia to show up this early. Like I said before though, he has all the signs and I don't hear a lot about growing pains in the rear legs so naturally and unfortunately I am filling my mind with worst case scenario. Thanks for the feedback

CodyC,

Everyone comes from a different set of experiences and when you've seen this or had a dog that had hip or shoulder problems in the past you worry every time there is a slight sign of a structural issue. You pointed out a lot of reasons why this could be happening and you're checking with your vet. Some of this is in your control and some maybe not. Let's hope it is and going forward you got some good advice and reasons to be hopeful. For me I try and not let them jump off tail gates, have collisions with bigger dogs, and in general over do it especially during this rapid growth stage and some caution until they peaked out and physically matured. Even if they don't show signs now they can receive damage that shows up later in life, not comforting, but another reason to do what you can.
    Bob Stewart
    Central IL.

Yeah that's very true. Ain't a whole lot I can do about it at this point. Just sucks to see such a young normally energetic pup with such good drive to be moping around in pain like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Yeah that's very true. Ain't a whole lot I can do about it at this point. Just sucks to see such a young normally energetic pup with such good drive to be moping around in pain like this.
    I know it's frustrating to watch such a playful puppy have to take it easy. My dog doesn't understand that he needs to take it easy, how do you explain to him that he can't do the one thing he loves to do the most and that's retrieve? Hopefully it passes soon.

I appreciate it man. I will give an update in a few days. If he isn't any better by Friday I believe I am going to have to take him to get him x rayed. Don't want to do it but it's better to be safe than sorry. He really is not doing well at all and I am not too familiar with how bad "growing pains" can effect dogs.

growing pains, Pano, I believe come from rapid bone growth, faster than normal for breed. Could be attributed to feeding puppy too much if i'm not mistaken.
    Pano is sometimes "wondering" where dog is painful on one leg then another etc..
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

If it was my dog, I would not allow it to have undiagnosed pain for days and would seek a definitive diagnosis, pain relief and/or corrective treatment immediately.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

There is more than just hips in the rear end.... If he keeps being sore, I'd head to a ortho dr and they'll look at hips, knees, hocks and muscle groups. Does any part of his legs seem warmer than the rest?

Yeah I appreciate all the feedback. I just have never seen anything like this and this isn't the first dog I have ever had although, he is the biggest dog I have had and comes from large stock (he's almost 60 lbs at 5 months). It's hard for me to understand why this is happening to my dog when I see all these other people have dogs and they never pay any attention to them and they are just fine. The fact that the weakness is on the back legs also makes me more nervous than if it were the front. All the research I have done with "growing pains" people are saying it's the front and not the back. Again, im just fishing around seeing who else has any advice on the subject. It's hard not to worry about it when you have a lot of time already invested and really high expectations for future hunting seasons. Thanks again.
    Pano will move around. That's how you know its pano and not something more significant. I just picked up on the fact that your dog is 60 at 5 months. That seals the deal for me that it's growing pains. That's a huge guy right there. I would seriously consider keeping him under total control (lead, crate) and taking him somewhere that he can get rid of some energy in a low impact way like in the water. If this continues you are going to be on here asking who does good ACL surgery.