The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks and Storage Devices

Default Audiobooks and Storage Devices

I love audiobooks and have a huge library of books on CD. I prefer the unabridged versions for obvious reasons. Increasingly new titles and some old that I do not already own are only available in the unabridged version as downloadable audiobooks. I have been researching storage devices including the Ipod Touch, Kindle Fire HD, and Ipad Mini. Does anyone have experience with any of these with regard to audiobooks and the pluses and minuses.

Additionally I have avoided downloadable books because I listen while driving and do not like to wear headphones. How good are the FM transmitters?

Any and all opinions and recommendations appreciated.
    Last edited by EdA; 08-06-2013 at 11:43 PM.

I have an iPod touch and use audible.com to download my books. In my older car, I have a cassette tape adapter that works pretty well, in my newer car, I have a aux in and can plug my iPod directly into the car and control the iPod with my stereo controls. The later is much nicer, but my dog SUV is an '03 and that was before the time of aux inputs. With the iPod touch I can download books directly to the iPod and never hook it up to a computer because they have an app. I bought a used one to cut costs, and have lots of music on it, in addition to lots of podcasts. I find audible to be much cheaper with the # of books I listen to. I would think an iPad mini or kindle fire would function just as well for audiobooks, but I wouldn't get a shuffle because then you'll have to hook it up to the computer. Not a big deal, but I like to reduce steps.

As far as the transmitters, I didn't like them because you need to stay on a non-used radio station and the distances I drive to trials, I get lots of interference and continually had to change stations.

Also, check your local library. Mine has an app where I can borrow books and download them.
    Last edited by Erin O'Brien; 08-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.

I have had very good luck with the Library and you can't beat the cost. You can transfer the book to a storage device so you can listen to it at your schedule.

May be time to get a new truck, 2009 and newer F250's have SYNC as an option and I have had great experience with it. Bluetooth the phone to the truck and listen to music, books and get and make calls.

You can also put the audio file on a flash drive and listen to it through SYNC.

Quote Originally Posted by DKR View Post
    May be time to get a new truck, .
    I wasn't planning to spend quite that much but a 2014 F150 Platinum is on the want list

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I wasn't planning to spend quite that much but a 2014 F150 Platinum is on the want list
    I think that comes with SYNC as part of the package. They are purty trucks.

Dr Ed: the iTouch( sold mine) is an iPhone without the phone capabilities,I would either upgrade your existing iPhone to an iPhone 5 with the 32 or 64 GB capacity and just download them there...the iPad is also another good alternative, but considering how much time you are on the road (educated guess) you can play your iPhone thru your car sound system like you would your iTunes
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Dr Ed: the iTouch( sold mine) is an iPhone without the phone capabilities,I would either upgrade your existing iPhone to an iPhone 5 with the 32 or 64 GB capacity and just download them there...the iPad is also another good alternative, but considering how much time you are on the road (educated guess) you can play your iPhone thru your car sound system like you would your iTunes
    Agreed, I have a blackberry and it doesn't do a whole lot. I'm waiting to upgrade in Dec. if you have an iPhone, don't buy an iPod.

I recently upgraded to IPhone 5 but only got the 16G version, never considered the audiobook angle. I have about 9G space left which a few unabridged audiobooks will consume hence my current dilemma.

Ipad Mini is also on my want list, two birds with one stone?

Wheres the GDG in your title

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I recently upgraded to IPhone 5 but only got the 16G version, never considered the audiobook angle. I have about 9G space left which a few unabridged audiobooks will consume hence my current dilemma.

Ipad Mini is also on my want list, two birds with one stone?
    from what the guys at the Apple store told me the iPad mini is also an iPhone without the phone so that would be the easiest thing to do, but your dilemma will be that you will have to turn off the blue tooth capability of your phone so the bluetooth of the Mini will transmit over the stereo in your car ( depending on the stereo system you have in your current truck) many of the newer aftermarket car stereo systems are VERY Apple friendly. I installed one in my Pathfinder and can listen to the tunes but when an incoming call comes in the hands free bluetooth option takes over and I can answer the call as it overrides the music...

in full disclosure I am switching over to the Samsung G4 phone and giving my brother my iPhone 4 on hopes that he will get rid of his OLD flip phone
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"