The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks and Storage Devices

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Wheres the GDG in your title
    It would seem to be obvious

I recently started using the audible books and it works well with the Sync in the dog truck. In a cool little trick that I don't use you can listen to the audio book and then have the ebook in the kindle app and when you open it up you are where you left off in the audio book.

My regular truck doesn't have the capability to plug in the iPhone, etc and the CD player just died and I had to get through about a 30 hour trip with no audio books. So I have been looking into other options. You can add the ability to plug the iphone into your current stereo. Parts are about $175 bucks at Best Buy or Crutchfield plus installation, unless you can do it yourself. I may just get a new stereo, though--although the 2014 F150 Platinum is a nice idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I recently upgraded to IPhone 5 but only got the 16G version, never considered the audiobook angle. I have about 9G space left which a few unabridged audiobooks will consume hence my current dilemma.

Ipad Mini is also on my want list, two birds with one stone?
    Because I also listen to lots of audiobooks, my iPhone has 32GB. Even with that much space it still pays to rip the CDs in MP3 format which allows them to be stored in a much smaller amount of space. If you write them to a CD in MP3 format and specify an output bitrate of 64 kBit/second all but the very longest books will fit on a single MP3 CD. If you don't have a way for your iPhone to communicate with your truck radio, you then have the added option of playing a single MP3 CD (assuming your truck radio allows this format of CDs to be played) rather than changing CDs 7 to 20+ times to listen to a single audiobook. By the way, I currently have 10 GB of "music" on my iPhone and that includes 14 unabridged audiobooks, so your 9GB of remaining space should support at least a half dozen very long books once they have been ripped as MP3s before being loaded onto your iPhone.
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    beb@bakbay.com www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

Ed, I found the FM transmitters to be unsatisfactory due to poor signal and interference. A cassette player adapter is better, but I finally decided to swap out the factory deck with another unit that has a USB input so that I can plug the ipod directly into the deck. All of my audio books end up on the ipod. Most of the audiobooks are downloaded from the library, others are checked out on disc and uploaded into itunes, then onto the ipod
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I recently upgraded to IPhone 5 but only got the 16G version, never considered the audiobook angle. I have about 9G space left which a few unabridged audiobooks will consume hence my current dilemma.

Ipad Mini is also on my want list, two birds with one stone?

Ed,

I have the iPhone 5 with only 16 GB too. I use Audible. They have an Audible App that works pretty well with the phone. I only keep a couple books on my phone at a time. I can access any of them from my audible library through the App, then I remove when I'm done.

My truck is a 2008. It doesn't do bluetooth, but there is an auxiliary input jack on the radio that I plug into the earbud jack on the phone.

One of the things I like about the App is that it has a sleep timer so I can go to bed and have it shut off after 15 or 30 minutes. It also through the cloud seems to keep track of where I am in the book even if I listen using different devices.
    Last edited by Buzz; 08-06-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I have an iPhone, iPad (not mini), and Kindle. I use Audible.com for books "on tape." My iPad is a 64GB and iPhone is 32GB (not that you actually have that much space because software uses a lot of it). A 4 or 5 hour audio book is about 80 to 100 MB. But, it doesn't really matter how much space they take because you can delete a book from your device after you listen to it. You still own it. If you want to listen to the book again, you download it again.

With Audible (and, I imagine, most other similar apps), you can download a book on either iPad or iPhone or both. If both, you can switch back and forth and they will sync to where you left off. I haven't used either on drives because I would have to glance at the device to hit the pause button. I never fool with the cell phone when I drive. I know there are ways to control a device without needing to look at it, but I haven't had the time to figure it out yet.

I mostly listen to audio books at work when I'm doing something monotonous I use the iPad, which has an amazing battery life. It will read an audio book for hours without needing a charge. The cell phone burns through the charge a whole lot faster, so you should probably have it plugged into power if you have a long book.

Whispersync allows you to sync written text on Kindle with audio on the iPad/Phone. I haven't tried it, yet.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

I only have an iPhone 4 but my F150 has Sync. So what are my options?

By the way one of the moderators added GDG to the title of my Football Trash Talk thread. So
    GDG is coming soon.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    By the way one of the moderators added GDG to the title of my Football Trash Talk thread. So
    GDG is coming soon.
    That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I only have an iPhone 4 but my F150 has Sync. So what are my options?
    I would upgrade to a 32G IPhone 5 if you plan to store a number of unabridged audiobooks, if not a 16G will do.

I had a 2005c truck that did not have a input for a mp- what ever storage device. I went online to crutchfield and the had a adapter that worked with the factory unit. Had a cable that I routed out by the consul and voila. My wife gets books from the library on her kindle fire. Works for that as well. She can download remote or at the local library.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan