The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reactions to heartguard plus?

Default reactions to heartguard plus?

I posted earlier, but it disappeared...

Last month about 12 hrs after I gave out heart worm one of my dogs had severe diarrhea. When cleaning it up, I found her heart guard undigested in the mess.

This month, about 8 hours after dosing, she had diarrhea again. My doc agrees this is not a coincidence. She is five years old, has been on heartworm prevention, interceptor or heartguard, her whole life. Heartguard since interceptor was taken off the market. Has anyone else had such an experience? Since all the medications have the same active ingredients, we are a bit stumped. Wondering if it is the beef chewie delivery that is the problem?

Meredith

Now that you mention it, I gave my 15 week old his Sunday afternoon late. About 3:30 AM he was whining (never happens). I took him out and he had the same issue. Thinking back, I'm 90% sure he did the same thing last month. Please keep us posted.

That and vomiting are listed as possible side effects, but it seems odd to me that it would start after such a long time--but I guess that is how allergic reactions start.

My doc has some of the beef chewies without medication that he uses for treats. Wants me to test them on her, but I have to get the current bout cleared up before trying to cause it again!

Meredith

My vet, too, has the beef chewies. She gave me a pack to try for treat training and every time he ate one or two diarrhea soon followed. I haven't used them in a couple of months. I'm guessing the two may go hand-in-hand. I haven't mentioned any of this to the vet but believe I will when I go back towards the end of the week for his last shots.

Good to know--sounds like it is the chewie not the medication. Not sure what the options are with Interceptor off the market!!

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    Good to know--sounds like it is the chewie not the medication. Not sure what the options are with Interceptor off the market!!

Meredith
    Liquid ivermectin
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

My vet just sold me Sentinel and told me that it had the same ingredients as Interceptor. She likes this because it also takes care of whipworms, which Heartguard Plus does not.

Unfortunately it has a flea component that I don't want or need, that apparently makes it less safe for breeding dogs.

Meredith

Gave heartgard to 9 year old lab last night never any problems with loose stool untill this morning now he has a severe case of diarrhea
    I know it has to be true, I read it on the internet

BUCKS WATERMARK SAM MH
    CHASE N TIME MH
    TROUBLESOME MIDNIGHT RENDEZVOUS JH
    COOSAWATTEES AMAZING GRACE

Good to know it isn't just me. I have six dogs, only one affected. Tried her on the beef chews that don't have the medication and there was no reaction, so it has to be the medication she is reacting to.

Have your vet report it to the manufacturer and give the lot number. Is this a new box that you just opened?

Meredith