The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Inter-digital cyst/abcess

Default Inter-digital cyst/abcess

Anyone have experiance with this? Been given three options,continue antibiotics and deal with it after hunting season, Open it up and try to clean it out.(Possible complications,Tearing out the stitches, pain in the butt recovery Or amputate non weight bearing toe ,Upside of this faster recovery less chance of complication I'm leaning toward amputation

The options you have been given are not typical. I would NOT amputate. You will start seeing these on other toes. Then you will have to cut all the toes off. (yes, a little sarcasm). I also would NOT open it up. They will burst on their own if they are going to. And these are a recurring thing. Google it, and you will see interdigital cysts are common in bull dogs.

I had a lab with these. They are like an ingrown hair. You can use antibiotics AND antifungals (ointment). You can also soak his feet in apple cidar vinegar and water 10-15 minutes per day. It will kill the bacteria and fungus that causes the cyst. I had mine taken care of with a dermatologist in buffalo grove, IL who destroyed the hair follicle with a laser. They never came back again, and gave the dog the ability to run through the fields again.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

More info, He has been on antibiotics for 20 days and a daily soak in epsomsalts with little or no effect. The thought is it started with a small puncture witch left something in there and the cyst formed around it. I also spoke to another well known vet in my area whose opinion was to remove it.

What you're describing is exactly how the first one on my dog showed up. I had the cyst removed, not to the toe. The pathology showed nothing in there. A year later, one showed up again and I could not get rid of it with the treatment you are describing. I was going to have the surgeon sew two toes together, which is the common treatment in Bulldogs. when the dog was under anesthesia and on the table, the surgeon called me and told me he found a couple of others. He did not feel it was the right way to go and wanted to wake the dog up and send me to the dermatologist. I agreed.

What you have not tried is the antifungal component. This is the apple cider vinegar and water soak along with a topical anti fungal andthe an oral antifungal such as Ketoconozole.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 08-06-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    Susan

The treating vet at the start did a stained smear looking for fungus as I frequent areas were blasto is present she found nothing but bacteria. The concern is that with the position of the cyst after removal the posibility of him tearing it open and prolonging the recovery is high. I will not go ahead with the amputation untill I talk with the other vet ( who I'm sure you are familiar with but I will not reveal his name on an open forum)

There is no way in hell I would amputate a toe for an interdigital cyst. And again, I had the exact same scenario. No fungus on some stupid slide but yet it was present. You really need to use the search function on this website to look for more people who have had this issue. All I can tell you with that with the method I used my dog was back running trials. You also need to do a Google search on interdigital cysts with bulldogs. But I know you were leaning that way so you are going to do what you wanted to to begin with. BTW, I was never talking about removing the cyst either. Although the one I did have removed mistakenly had no problem with recovery and healing.

The only way I would ever amputate a toe is because of cancer or a severe fracture that could not be repaired.
    Susan

Could it have been caused by a grass seed between the toes? If so, is it possible the seed is still there?
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

An awn was my vets impression of the first interdigital cyst. However, One appeared on the other foot in exactly the same place.

Had the first one removed but it came back so removal did not work.

Total removal is not an option for me
    When it quits being fun...we retire!

Nancy Neipert with
    Skeeter, my avatar (Deepwoods Off and Fly'n High, MH, MNH, MN09,10, 11.
    Gypsy (Windigo Deja Voodoo Gypsy Pearl, D List, QAA, MH) MN10 & to MD11
    Mary (Stellars Proud Mary) first Lean Mac dog
    Ted (Deepwoods Spirit of the Wild), now the baby & Suzie's grandson...
    Suzie (Watermarks Slough Foot Sue, MH, 2000-2011 - Farewell dear companion)