The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainer Communication

Default Trainer Communication

Let me begin by saying that this is my first time sending a dog to a trainer. How often should I expect to hear from the trainer? Weekly?, less often?

I ask my trainer to and he knows that I like weekly reports and I don't feel bad about calling/texting whenever I want. I'm paying the bill (in cash and on time) and have never been told I couldn't call/text. Now saying that, if you sent your pup for OB, there is not a lot to report the first couple weeks except that the pup is adjusting and listening. But, when you pick it up, WOW! what a difference! The main thing is let the trainer train. So the answer to your question is yes weekly or less often.

Quote Originally Posted by 11Chuck View Post
    Let me begin by saying that this is my first time sending a dog to a trainer. How often should I expect to hear from the trainer? Weekly?, less often?
    Depends on the trainer, it could be anywhere from daily to never

I hope the trainer I use is understanding. LOL
    I won't mess with it for first 30 days as this is the start of the bonding and getting started. So to hear from him a couple times I will be good with after that I don't think a weekly report is to much and eventually Ill be visiting each weekend for my training.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Southall View Post
    I ask my trainer to and he knows that I like weekly reports and I don't feel bad about calling/texting whenever I want. I'm paying the bill (in cash and on time) and have never been told I couldn't call/text. Now saying that, if you sent your pup for OB, there is not a lot to report the first couple weeks except that the pup is adjusting and listening. But, when you pick it up, WOW! what a difference! The main thing is let the trainer train. So the answer to your question is yes weekly or less often.
    My thoughts exactly. My checks always clear the bank. Depending upon where the dog is in its work, maybe it would be appropriate to go out and watch him wok as well... Even throw some birds if your dog is far enough along.

When I was training for clients, I told them that no news is good news.
    What got me out of training for others business was a few clients that would call 2-3 times per week at 8-9 PM and just want to go on and on. Not bad people, but they did not realize that a reputable or conscientious trainer has already put in 14-16 hours by then and just wants to decompress.
    Do your homework and pick someone that you trust and let it ride.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

When I was taking dogs I told the owners not to come out for the first three weeks. But after that come as much as possible. Most didn't come very often. I would give weekly email reports. Then I started posting periodic videos on Facebook.
    I had one client call every day almost during my training times. I tried to explain that there wasn't significant improvement every day. I finally had to stop answering his calls. And turn my phone off during
    Training times as he would try to trick me by calling from a different phone.

So just be reasonable.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

After my children looked at me and said "Daddy, you're on the phone all the time!" I knew that I had to change something about what I was doing. Training sessions were taking twice as long as they should and I was on the phone all the time. What I decided to do works pretty well for me. I allot 2 hours a day to call all clients back at one time. I usually do this sometime at midday after we are done in the field for the morning session. I will return calls but will generally only call clients when milestones are reached. I know you are a paying client but put yourself in your trainers shoes. If he was on the phone with another client instead of training your dog you wouldn't be too happy. Multiply your calling habits by 10-20 or more and you start to get the idea.

My trainer is feeding and airing dogs by 6 am. She is working on yard dogs at 7 am. She is running blinds with young dogs at 9 am. She is in the field at 10 am. She trains until 5 or 6 pm. She airs and feeds dogs at 6 - 7 pm. The dogs get aired again at 9 pm. So there is not alot of free time for chatting on the phone. Something for clients to think about when they don't get an immediate response to phone calls, text messages or email messages
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

The best forcer we ever used was Tommy Williams in CA who worked for Rex Carr for 15 years before going into business for himself. He had definite rules - one call after the first two weeks and then a call each month. If after two weeks, he did not feel the dog could handle the his program, you were instructed to pick the dog up. His force fetch program took three months and each and every dog was perfectly force fetched, steady and presenting nicely at that time.