The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trainer Communication

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    My trainer is feeding and airing dogs by 6 am. She is working on yard dogs at 7 am. She is running blinds with young dogs at 9 am. She is in the field at 10 am. She trains until 5 or 6 pm. She airs and feeds dogs at 6 - 7 pm. The dogs get aired again at 9 pm. So there is not alot of free time for chatting on the phone. Something for clients to think about when they don't get an immediate response to phone calls, text messages or email messages
    Plus, you get up and train almost weekly so you are part of the process that is the upside of being an active client.

Due to my schedule I'll send a txt every 10-14 days and I get a short reply, I know all is good...wished I could get up and train more often though! If I get a lengthy reply or a call I do get a little nervous....but I do trust our Pro to be honest in the assessment of my dog(s)...so no news is good news!
    Last edited by FOM; 08-06-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Thanks all for the feedback.

I have a client...been with me for ten years now...who used to call me every single day. And wanted to talk for 20 minutes each time. Finally I told her that once every two weeks would be fine. And next I told her that I had X number of minutes per day allocated to her dogs and their training, and she could spend that time either having me train her dogs or talking to her on the phone, her choice. That made sense to her, and she's been great ever since.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

dont nag you dog.....dont nag your dog's trainer...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    My trainer is feeding and airing dogs by 6 am. She is working on yard dogs at 7 am. She is running blinds with young dogs at 9 am. She is in the field at 10 am. She trains until 5 or 6 pm. She airs and feeds dogs at 6 - 7 pm. The dogs get aired again at 9 pm. So there is not alot of free time for chatting on the phone. Something for clients to think about when they don't get an immediate response to phone calls, text messages or email messages
    When I had a dog with a pro, that was about the same schedule. When I needed to call, I tried to shoot for when I thought they would be feeding and airing when they might have a second while a couple are in the airing yard doing their business. I assumed that if they didn't answer, they were busy and would call me back when they had a chance, which they did.

Most pros seem to think they need a couple two few weeks with a dog before the owner comes out and then they welcome it as much as possible--especially if you help throw birds, get dogs on and off the truck or do whatever is necessary.

Also, at a trial, most seem to be pretty good at getting at least texts out with updates, but some can get in a situation where they are literally taking a dog off the line, handing it to an assistant and getting the next one to go right back. So if I need an update at a trial, I try to touch base with another client instead.

At one time, I thought it would be great to be a full-time client dog trainer...at most times now, I think that was a terrible thought.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Thank you Bon!!!!
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    You do have to pay attention to his/her work schedule. And most of the time no news is good news. I do try and text instead of calling so he can get back to me when he has time. I never went over 2 days without him getting back to me.

It's great to get both sides of this. I guess would it be best to just send and e-mail and he can respond when he gets a chance.

When I have a dog with a trainer my rule is no more than one text a month. I know what my dogs are doing in training with me as well as the pro. I just don't feel the need to have him tell me what I already know. When you've spent adequate time training yourself you gain an understanding of whatnot takes to train a dog. That alone stopped me from wanting to harass the trainer.