The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Hold.

Default Cigar Hold.

No matter what I try my dog ends up cigaring the bumper. She also wants to pick up on the ends alot. She understands the hold command but she has a very soft mouth. All advice is welcome.

Mine does the same thing. She will not ever be a FT or HT dog. I asked for advice on here and most people told me not to worry about it. I still correct her (put the bumper properly in her mouth after retrieve) but 9 times out of ten she returns with a "cigared" bumper. My pro said that when she gets on birds this might change. As Wauyne Nutt commented, " I've never seen a dog cigar a bird!!

My dog does the same thing, no matter how many times I correct him. I personally see this a lot more when he is hot. “I think its easier for them to pant when they cigar the bumper” If my pup drops I follow with a Fetch “nick” Fetch but most of the time he has the bumper back in his mouth before I can react to him dropping it.

Like Mr. Nutt they don’t cigar birds. Get you a live bird and let it break the hold of your dog and it will be the last time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your pup will not be happy about that bird running off and pup will make sure it holds on after that….
    SHR Goodwins Hat Creek Hound "Gus"

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Quack View Post
    Mine does the same thing. She will not ever be a FT or HT dog. I asked for advice on here and most people told me not to worry about it. I still correct her (put the bumper properly in her mouth after retrieve) but 9 times out of ten she returns with a "cigared" bumper. My pro said that when she gets on birds this might change. As Wauyne Nutt commented, " I've never seen a dog cigar a bird!!
    Agree with this!

How does your dog do with birds??? Some dogs just cigar bumpers! BUT if they dont drop them I'd be fine with it Win the battle not the war!!!! You can apply more and more pressure here and maybe cause bigger issues!! If the dog doesnt have issues with birds no worries!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AriseKillEat View Post
    No matter what I try my dog ends up cigaring the bumper. She also wants to pick up on the ends alot. She understands the hold command but she has a very soft mouth. All advice is welcome.
    My young guy did the same. Started using the Large Avery Hex bumpers.......Problem solved!!!
    "Remember, it's about the Dog and the Dog work, it's not about you"

As dog starts getting tired they start panting and I notice too that my dog starts cigaring hold. Try to put wrap wire on both ends of the bumper and it will help. Just try it and then continue to fix the bumper when dog gets to the heel position

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Quack View Post
    Mine doesAs Wauyne Nutt commented, " I've never seen a dog cigar a bird!!
    And then I posted 2 pictures of different dogs cigar-ing ducks. You own what you condone.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    and then i posted 2 pictures of different dogs cigar-ing ducks. You own what you condone.

Evan
    boom!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes it's quite useful, "Spoony, what spoony?"

That was a silly picture to illustrate what I've found to be a silly concern. That dog frequently cigars bumpers and sometimes cigars birds:

But he's put several thousand ducks and geese in the log without a hold related loss that I'm aware of.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hall View Post
    Sometimes it's quite useful, "Spoony, what spoony?"

That was a silly picture to illustrate what I've found to be a silly concern. That dog frequently cigars bumpers and sometimes cigars birds:

But he's put several thousand ducks and geese in the log without a hold related loss that I'm aware of.
    How dare you let that dog do that Rick.haaaaa!
    I'm on the same page as you.....
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff